Standing Ovation

standing ovation Heather Telford

More alcohol ink fun to share today. The technique is similar to the one I shared last week but I mixed up the order a little on this one. You can see I have some pale colours in the background and bolder green circles in the foreground. I created the muted background first but putting a few drops of yellow and rust coloured alcohol ink on a felt applicator then dotting it all over the yupo panel. I then dropped the green ink to make larger circles; the green has a brown aura which  matched nicely with my background. Once the green had stopped expanding I put some blending solution on a felt applicator and applied it all over the panel. The blending solution muted the background and created the cool blobby patterns on the green circles (you know, the ones that look like cells under a microscope!)

standing ovation Heather Telford

At this point I thought it looked a bit like a mass of flowers in a garden so I used the new ‘Standing Ovation’ stamp to add black silhouette images to the foreground. I matted in black and added a little sentiment on the white card base.

Stamps:  Standing Ovation, Snippets (PB)
Inks:  Archival jet black ink (Ranger) Versafine Onyx Black (Tsukineko)
Alcohol Ink: Rust, Willow, Honeycomb, alcohol blending solution (Ranger)
Paper: Yupo, Neenah Avon Brilliant White 110lb cardstock, Neenah epic black 100lb cardstock

13 Comments on “Standing Ovation”

1. Liz in NH says:

So pretty! Looking forward to unearthing my alcohol inks. Love this muted look, too. Very effective, and different. Thanks!

2. sandie carter says:

WOW! This card looks fantastic. I will have to give this a try as I love the look you created. It has been ages since I used my alcohol inks to make backgrounds. Thanks heaps for the inspiration.

3. Heidi says:

Very beautiful! I love the background and that stamp is wonderful! I definitely want to get my hands on the Yupo paper. Do you think that you can stamp on that more easily than glossy cardstock or is it a bit harder? Thanks!

4. canadiancaroline says:

Those alcohol panels are so amazingly organic! Yet another medium you are inspiring me to try…

This looks great Heather and the silhouette flowers in the foreground complement it perfectly. x

6. Very delightful card. Yup has a life of it’s own, but you have the knack!

7. Char says:

I ordered my Yupo through good old Amazon Prime. Alcohol inks are at the ready. I am so excited to try this new technique. Love how you inspire us!

8. Clelie says:

Beautiful design, Heather! I checked out Jane Clempson and love the difference between glossy and Yupo. Didn’t think I needed to move into Yupo but now, can see I do! Love the bloom and the blending that happens on the Yupo. Have wanted to try the “landscaping” for awhile…now I can see the Yupo might be crucial for that style. Thanks so much for the tutorial!

Great, another cool technique from you. 😉 I have now bought my first watercolour powders… there’s a Canadian company offering them now. But anyway… What a great background! The silhouettes are just right.

10. memalagene says:

Awesome, I love how the alcohol circles give a depth to the card!