Holly thank yous

holly thank you pair Heather Telford

I drew a few Christmas thank you cards on the weekend to give to some friends. What started as a fairly quick exercise became frustrating as I picked up red stain on my fingers and proceeded to print it on the panels as I put the cards together. I think all the cards ended up with little red smudges here and there. One had to be remade because I made such a mess of it.

Hand drawn thank you Heather Telford

I drew the holly with the elegant writer pen from Speedball which bleeds pink and green colour when wet. I added distress stains to the inside of my leaves and berries which blended with the colours from the pen to create some multicoloured leaves.

Hand drawn Heather Telford

I did the hand lettering with a different pen and with varying levels of success as far as keeping slope even and thick and thin happening. It’s all good practice! All the panels are popped up on fun foam on watercolour paper card bases.

Inks:  mowed lawn, peeled paint, festive berries, barn door distress stains (Ranger) Elegant Writer (Speedball) Fudenosuke brush pen (Tombow)
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper, Canson cold pressed watercolour paper

15 Comments on “Holly thank yous”

1. craftytreen says:

these are lovely. i have always loved holly. these are so delicate and pretty. i got into stamping because i have never been able to draw. lol. now, i see people drawing and i really want to learn it. It has to go on my rather long list of things to learn. thanks, Heather!

2. Micheline Jourdain says:

It is incredible Heather! Your hand draw and the hand script are absolutely beautiful! I love it!

3. cmt says:

They turned out beautifully. I love the loose, playful watercolor style,

I love your self drawn holly Heather and then hand lettered too and beautifully watercoloured. x

5. cherylquilts says:

Oh, Heather, these are gorgeous! I so admire your work and love how you’ve ventured into hand drawing! I recently purchased an Elegant Writer pen and will have to practice myself. I so love holly, and these are beautifully colored and make such classy thank-you notes! Hugs!

• Before I read your description, the first thing I did was see what stamp you used! WOW, hand drawn. How impressive and how beautiful these are. Calligraphy is hard! You did an outstanding job with the hand written verse! Love these cards!

6. Jan Thomas says:

Love the whimsey of these cards. so fun.

7. ND says:

An occasional chaotic mess helps us keep our feet on the ground. Great cards, too!

8. barbara lassiter says:

Beautiful cards! I admire your talent! 🙂

9. Sandy Dehon says:

Beautiful thank you notes and your Holly leaves are fabulous!
    Sandy xx

10. Sandi says:

Beautiful cards. Love Holly.

11. Is there anything better than holly for a Christmas / winter card? Gosh, Heather, these are so pretty! I would so buy these if I didn’t make my own cards!! I’ll have to look into that cool magical pen! Hugs, Darnell

12. Bonnie says:

What beautiful holly, Heather! You are a true artist!

13. Karen says:

These are so pretty! I am inspired to dig out my old nibs and ink and try something like this. So beautiful!