Happy Anniversary, Baby

bride Heather Telford

It was my wedding anniversary yesterday so a wedding related card seems appropriate. I don’t do many cards with people in them and do not have skills in painting skin colour. Making this a monochrome card solved that little problem nicely. I only used two colours, both from the purple family, and managed to blend  enough colour within the outline to provide some dimension. I stamped with distress stain and pulled colour from the stamping while it was still wet. Masking tape around the original panel created a frame then popping it up on dimensional tape which created another subtle frame.

This elegant dress looks nothing like my wedding dress, nor did I have a veil or fancy boots like those above. I did design and make my wedding dress myself and still love it despite how dated it seems now. My mother borrowed her wedding dress from a dear friend; it was extremely elegant and would not look out of place today. Mine will not be back in style until enormous sleeves return!

wedding

Stamps: Bridal March (PB)
Inks:  Milled lavender, Aged Mahogany distress stains (Ranger)
Cardstock: Hotpressed Fabriano watercolour paper

38 Comments on “Happy Anniversary, Baby”

1. shirley says:

Happy Anniversary! Lovely dress and bride, and I love the card.

2. Beverly Railey Robinson says:

Wow! Gorgeous card, but even more beautiful dress on your wedding photo. I only took one class with you in Reston, VA and yet you influence my thinking nearly everyday. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and artwork.

3. Happy Anniversary. A genuine soul with a wonderful gift that you selflessly share! Quite an accomplishment!

4. Katie says:

Aaawww….so sweet!

5. Patty says:

Congratulations! You’re such an inspiration to me.

6. Jan Castle says:

WOW Heather…what you did with this stamp is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I would never have picked this stamp thinking it could be transformed to such a gorgeous card!!!!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan

7. craftytreen says:

Dear Heather, Happy anniversary! i loved your dress! its lovely. i miss those days when we had scalloped hems and lovely lace adorned sleeves! Your card is amazing. I’m amazed at how you so easily side step anything in your way. lol
    i never would have even thought of those colors together. You can bet i will be trying them soon. i’m writing them in my new huge planner in the colors section. lol soon i’ll be so organized. i’m covering books and moving things around. i need a watercolor or a floral print that i love. i think i’ll have to make one with the colors i want in the room. lol so much fun. love, treen

8. Mickie Kiefer says:

Love your wedding dress! And it was perfect for the time. My dress would be considered “dated” too but I love it.

9. DeLayne says:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Lovely Wedding picture! Gorgeous card! Thank you for sharing it.

10. Clelie says:

Aaawwww…you two were adorable!…and I love your wedding dress. My wedding dress was a Gunne Sac dress…high waist, lace, affordable and I thought it was beautiful! 🙂 I suppose it would be considered “homespun” today. My…it brings back sweet memories! Happy Anniversary, Heather!

11. ND says:

We remember it well. It found its way into the memoir earlier this week. Dealing with 1990 at present.

12. ireneaddison says:

Stunning card! ….and thanks for sharing your lovely wedding photo!

13. Connie Schulz says:

Happy belated Anniversary. I like your wedding dress. The card is nice too.

14. Joan B says:

Your dress is gorgeous. What a handsome couple. Happy Anniversary! Your card is amazing. Simple in effect, but full of perfect shading. Just what you always deliver!

15. Bonnie says:

Simple elegance! What a gorgeous card, Heather! Happy Anniversary. Your wedding dress is beautiful!

Happy Anniversary Heather and how clever to design and make your wedding dress which is beautiful. I love your elegant card with this quite modern image but you have added the extra touches which make it your own and such a pretty muted lavendar colour. x

17. carol / creatingincolors says:

The simplicity and subtle colors of that card stopped me in my tracks at first glance. It is beautiful. And of course your own picture and words around it are just as beautiful.

18. Beautifully done! I would not have a clue how to use that image and just love how you did this one, pulling the color from the stamping! LOVE, love, love the dress you designed! What talent you have! It’s not easy to make a dress that fits so beautifully and love those sleeves whether they are vogue or not!

19. Vicki B says:

It is just lovely the way you used that stamp!

20. littledebbie4 says:

fab card and wedding photo – congrats to you both

21. cherylquilts says:

Oh, Heather, I love the simplicity of this card and your sponging…stunning. But truly, I love your wedding dress far better. And you and your DH look absolutely adorable and so in love! Being a 60’s girl and a seamstress, I so admire that you made your wedding dress. I made all three of my maids of honor dresses and the flower girl as well, but I stopped short of making my wedding dress. It’s beautiful, and congratulations on your wedding anniversary. You continue to inspire and delight on your blog…especially as you add some personal touches like this one. Hugs!

22. Ann says:

I follow you Heather on blogger, but don’t often comment – you have so many to read! This card is stunning – I love the elegant simplicity of it. Also, thank you so much for sharing your wedding photo – a lovely couple and an absolutely beautiful dress! Your talent for design and expert execution has always been there obviously! Just beautiful! Brings back lovely memories for all who visit – my mother made my dress in 1966 and I couldn’t have been happier! Looking forward to celebrating 50 years in July this year – married to such a good man:)

• Heather says:

Congratulations on your fiftieth year of marriage; it is always lovely to hear of such happy life long unions. How special to have your mother make your dress. I don’t know that I will be doing that for my girls but I did enjoy making a prom dress for my daughter 18 months ago. Thank you for your kind words.

23. Valerie says:

Dear Heather I just wanted to say how much I love the way you did this card. Question though: the flowers look dimensional – did you do something to them?

24. Valerie says:

Hi Heather I love what you have done with the card but I do have a question, did you do something to the flowers as they look dimensional?

That is an excellent way to avoid trying to colour people… must remember this idea! Especially when it results in such a pretty card. Your wedding dress is beautiful! And I’d say not so very much out of style.

26. Jan Thomas says:

Love your work. Happy Anniversary!!!!!

27. tish rowe says:

Thank you for sharing your anniversary with your fans. Hard to imagine how young we were. The stamp dress is elegant in its simplicity. so beautiful. And, your dress is priceless.
    Congratulations.
    Tish

28. Karen says:

What a lovely card and a lovelier picture of that happy couple 🙂
    Best wishes for your anniversary and many more happy years together.

29. judka says:

Happy Anniversary, Heather! Love your dress and that you made it!! And that Penny Black bride stamp is one of my very favorites. Beautifully done.

30. Sherry says:

So beautiful Heather! Hope you had a wonderful anniversary !

31. Margaret says:

Belated happy anniversary wishes. You haven’t changed a bit!

32. Susie Hardin says:

Happy Belated Anniversary! I am so sorry I didn’t see this until now! I love your style in this card but even more Love the fact that you were designing even before you were married. You radiated love as a bride & more importantly you are still in love & celebrating your anniversary!
    blessings in the coming year.