Misti & BisterPosted: July 6, 2015
My bister experiments continue, this time with the help of the MISTI. I know the Misti is helpful for all sorts of stamping but so far I have used it most frequently for background stamps. The poppy pattern stamp is a lovely stamp but I must admit I had hardly used it before I got the Misti. I used bister powders for both the cards below but used a different order for applying colour, ink and water.
On the panel above I inked the flowers on the stamp with spun sugar distress stain; it is a pale colour so I could see it when it stamped but it didn’t impact the end result very much. After stamping I dropped mahogany bister powders onto the wet flowers. After the first impression I switched to stamping with water, adding a bit more bister here and there until the flowers were well covered. I dropped some black powder in the centre of a few poppies and then inked the leaves with iced spruce distress stain (again a pale colour) and dropped green powder onto the wet leaves and stems. I re-stamped many times to get the effect I wanted always in the same place because the stamp was firmly positioned on the Misti and my watercolour paper panel was held down by both tape and magnets. I let it air dry then brushed off excess bister, added a black sentiment and two co-ordinating mats.
On my second panel I randomly sprinkled yellow and mahogany bister powder onto a dry piece of watercolour paper (once again held firm in the misti). Before I could stamp over the dry powder I managed to brush half of it off with a towel so I had to sprinkle another lot over the panel! I then painted water onto the stamp with a paint brush and stamped over the powder. I had to stamp several times with water before the flowers really took shape. Instead of adding black powder to the centres of the poppies this time I added distress marker to the centres on the stamp then stamped over the top of the colour already there. Again I let it air dry then brushed off some excess powder. For a little added interested I trimmed then die cut the panel so it could reveal a thin strip of the burgandy cardstock underneath. I wanted the sentiment in the same ink colour as the cardstock so I stamped first in versafine satin red then over the top with versafine vintage sepia. (restamping sentiments precisely is another tricky task made easy with the misti)
Edited to add: Dina Kowal posted a very helpful description of four different water-soluble powders on Splitcoast. Check it out to see price comparisons, colour range similarities and differences as well as a good way to repackage the powders.
Stamps: Poppy Pattern, A Sweet Day(PB)
Inks: Spun Sugar, Iced Spruce distress stain & black soot distress marker (Ranger)
Creative Dies: Stitched Edges (PB)
Cardstock: Canson 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper
Also: Bister pigment powders