Misti & Bister

poppy pattern bistre 2 Heather Telford

My bister experiments continue, this time with the help of the MISTI. I know the Misti is helpful for all sorts of stamping but so far I have used it most frequently for background stamps. The poppy pattern stamp is a lovely stamp but I must admit I had hardly used it before I got the Misti. I used bister powders for both the cards below but used a different order for applying colour, ink and water.

On the panel above I inked the flowers on the stamp with spun sugar distress stain; it is a pale colour so I could see it when it stamped but it didn’t impact the end result very much. After stamping I dropped mahogany bister powders onto the wet flowers. After the first impression I switched to stamping with water, adding a bit more bister here and there until the flowers were well covered. I dropped some black powder in the centre of a few poppies and then inked the leaves with iced spruce distress stain (again a pale colour) and dropped green powder onto the wet leaves and stems. I re-stamped many times to get the effect I wanted always in the same place because the stamp was firmly positioned on the Misti and my watercolour paper panel was held down by both tape and magnets. I let it air dry then brushed off excess bister, added a black sentiment and two co-ordinating mats.

poppy pattern bistre 1 Heather Telford

On my second panel I randomly sprinkled yellow and mahogany bister powder onto a dry piece of watercolour paper (once again held firm in the misti). Before I could stamp over the dry powder I managed to brush half of it off with a towel so I had to sprinkle another lot over the panel! I then painted water onto the stamp with a paint brush and stamped over the powder. I had to stamp several times with water before the flowers really took shape. Instead of adding black powder to the centres of the poppies this time I added distress marker to the centres on the stamp then stamped over the top of the colour already there.  Again I let it air dry then brushed off some excess powder. For a little added interested I trimmed then die cut the panel so it could reveal a thin strip of the burgandy cardstock underneath. I wanted the sentiment in the same ink colour as the cardstock so I stamped first in versafine satin red then over the top with versafine vintage sepia. (restamping sentiments precisely is another tricky task made easy with the misti)

Edited to add: Dina Kowal posted a very helpful description of four different water-soluble powders on Splitcoast. Check it out to see price comparisons, colour range similarities and differences as well as a good way to repackage the powders.

Stamps:  Poppy Pattern, A Sweet Day(PB)
Inks: Spun Sugar, Iced Spruce distress stain & black soot distress marker  (Ranger)
Creative Dies:  Stitched Edges (PB)
Cardstock: Canson 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper
Also: Bister pigment powders

9 Comments on “Misti & Bister”

Two gorgeous cards and the Misti obviously works perfectly if you want to keep stamping over with precision. The colours of both are beautiful and the Bister powder has good strength of pigment. A wonderful result Heather. x

2. cherylquilts says:

What beautiful cards, Heather, and the MISTI sure did help for repeated stamping. I am amazed at the beauty of the Bisters and the Distress Inks! Stunning cards, my friend! Hugs!

3. Maria says:

Love the cards Heather, will have to look for this Misti and Bister
    because the outcome is lovely. Wonder if you can get them here
    in the uk. TFS !

4. KatieP says:

The first one is my favorite! Thanks for sharing yet another way to use the MISTI, maybe it will be in my budget sometime in the future.

5. Gracie says:

Simply gorgeous. From: bits & pieces To: impync@yahoo.com Sent: Monday, July 6, 2015 2:46 PM Subject: [New post] Misti & Bister #yiv5793500595 a:hover {color:red;}#yiv5793500595 a {text-decoration:none;color:#0088cc;}#yiv5793500595 a.yiv5793500595primaryactionlink:link, #yiv5793500595 a.yiv5793500595primaryactionlink:visited {background-color:#2585B2;color:#fff;}#yiv5793500595 a.yiv5793500595primaryactionlink:hover, #yiv5793500595 a.yiv5793500595primaryactionlink:active {background-color:#11729E;color:#fff;}#yiv5793500595 WordPress.com | Heather posted: “My bister experiments continue, this time with the help of the MISTI. I know the Misti is helpful for all sorts of stamping but so far I have used it most frequently for background stamps. The poppy pattern stamp is a lovely stamp but I must admit I h” | |

6. LaVon Hall says:

I am intrigued by this bister powder and may need to give this a try. I have found the MISTI a worthwhile investment. Thanks for sharing another great technique.

7. Clelie says:

Do you have a “trick” for cleaning the bister powder from the Misti so future cards will not be accidentally “colored”? Would you consider a video tutorial of this card process…they are stunning!?

8. Priscilla says:

Beautiful cards and thanks for sharing the misti hints.

Oh my gosh. 🙂 I hadn’t really seen the advantages of the MISTI until this. (I’ve been quite convinced I could still stamp something crooked even with it. But this is an entirely different level of use!) These are beautiful, Heather.