Christmas Traditions

Silver & Blue Heather Telford

This week on the Penny Black blog the designers are sharing more Christmas inspiration and some of their own holiday traditions. At our house I pick a different colour scheme for decorating the tree each year. The children do give me input and we come to a decision together. Every colour scheme includes gold or silver as we don’t have an endless supply of decorations. Last year it was silver and white with a touch of red.

socks&tree

Another year it was silver and blue like the card above. One year my daughter who loves green and yellow asked for lime green! I was a bit dubious but we teamed it up with gold,  found a set of lime green baubles, a garland of lime green berries and it worked. I’m not sure what it will be this year. When the children were younger we made a new set of decorations to add to the collection each year. One year we made peg angels and another year felt mittens. We painted balls with glitter glue a few times and threaded clear beads on florist wire to make icicles; you can see the icicles in the photo above.

To create the blue and silver card above I began by embossing the “Caroling Tree” in silver embossing powder, next I positioned a mask cut from a post-it note to cover the bottom of the panel. I brayered Memento Paris Dusk ink over the exposed part of the panel then evened out the colour with a sponge. I removed the first mask and cut another to place a little lower then sponged above it to create a snow bank and then another below that. To complete the panel I drew a border of silver with a sharpie and added a few silver stars also. The final touch was a few red rhinestones. I trimmed the card base to fit the panel so it is 5.5″ x 3.5″.

Thank you for all the feedback on my “No Card Left Behind” post; it was very interesting and helpful to read how other card makers deal with unexpected mishaps.

Feel free to share some of your Christmas traditions in the comments below; I would love to read about them.

Stamps:  Caroling Tree (PB)
Inks: Versamark, Memento Paris Dusk ink (Imagine Craft/Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Neenah Solar white 110lb cardstock
Also: Silver Embossing Powder, Silver Sharpie, Red Rhinestones

9 Comments on “Christmas Traditions”

1. debbie says:

I do a different colour theme every year too, this year I think it will be hot pink and lime green, just to be totally different. Love this card 🙂

2. Gabby says:

Lovely card, Heather! I like the “light” area in the center where the sentiment is stamped. The bright blue and silver look great w/the touch of red. 🙂 Our family had a tradition of eating “special” foods at Christmas. As well, on Christmas Eve, all the kids got to open one gift, which was always new pajamas or nightgowns. (Mom had always washed them so we could wear them that very night.) Almost every year we went to my grandparent’s home, which was about 45 mi from ours. On the way home, off and on, my Mother would look out the window and make a fuss that she thought she saw Santa and his sleigh. My brother and I would look out of every window and try to see him. She built up the excitement all the way home and nearly each year she brought us to joyful tears at the thought that Santa was on his way to our house. Now that my brother has passed, these holiday (and other) memories are precious to us. Here’s to a splendid, joyful forthcoming holiday season to all of us! 😀

3. Elaine Barr says:

Heather – I love this card. The blue is fab.. although I’m thinking it would look fab in all sorts of colourways!! TFS xx

4. jmhave44 says:

Thanks for sharing some of your family Christmas traditions along with this spectacular card. I liked the brayering over the embossing – what a nice effect. Your wonderful sponged snowbanks were beautiful – as always. TFS

5. Sally H says:

A stunning card, Heather! I love it! Very elegant. I love shades of blue for Christmas cards, or any sort of snowy scene!

6. Lovely work of art – showing real class!

Silver and blue — one of my favourite combinations for Christmas cards. Love the little pops of red, too, of course.

8. nise says:

I am so not ready to even think fall, but this Christmas card is breathtaking! A truly beautiful creation. Your s-n-o-w banks are always so realistic, as is your sky on this one. You certainly know how to showcase the Penny Black stamps.