Sparkle String

Sparkle String Heather Telford

I had fun creating this little string of lights. I cut several strings of lights with the “Sparkle String” die and experimented with colouring techniques. I decided on the radiant neon inks because the colours are so soft and pretty. To colour the lights I left them in the negative die cut with a bit of tape on the back to keep things from moving around. Before I coloured each light I removed the little white highlight and set it aside. I sponged each light in a radiant neon ink then darkened the left side with a slightly darker ink. (To Electric Green I added Electric Blue, to Electric Yellow I added Electric Orange, to Electric Coral I added Memento Luxe Love Letter, to Electric Blue I added Electric Purple.) I added a bit of sparkle to each bulb with a clear Wink of Stella pen then slotted the white highlights back in. The cords between the bulbs and the die cut sentiment are coloured with a silver sharpie. My finishing touch for the string of lights was glossy accents on each bulb which made them all quite shiny and raised.

I decided to set the lights on a black background but wanted “glow” around each one. I tried the sponging the neon ink directly onto the black cardstock but the colour was not light or bright enough. By sponging with white pigment ink first I provided a white base for each bit of neon sponging. I glued the bulbs to the black panel but  not the cords so some of them are  raised a little. To attach the Merry Christmas I used a Scrapbook Adhesives Transfer Sheet before die cutting. When it came to sticking it down all I had to do was remove the backing and press it down onto the black panel.

The little splatters you see in the detail picture below are clear Wink of Stella and the larger ones are Silver Wink of Stella.

Sparkle String detail Heather Telford

Since I am showing you my sparkly light card I thought I would share a card my son made the other day. In our latest bit of sorting and organizing he found a set of stickers I had bought him long ago. The set had several instruments but he just used the drum kit and amp. He added the lights, the rack for the lights, the sponging and the little cord and power outlet himself. The coolest feature of this card however is the way it lights up.

Drum kit under lights

Inside he attached a small battery operated light which shines through the holes he punched for the floodlights!

Drum kit lights on

Thanks for dropping by and thanks for the responses to my latest video. I know my videos are few and far between so I appreciate your positive feedback very much.

Creative Dies: Sparkle String, Joyous Wishes (PB)
Inks: Radiant Neon Electric Blue, Green, Coral, Yellow, Orange, Purple inks & Memento Luxe Love Letter, Wedding Dress ink (Imagine Craft/Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Neenah Solar White 110lb, Black cardstock
Also: Silver Sharpie, Glossy Accents, Clear & Silver Wink of Stella pens, Scrapbook Adhesives Transfer Sheet

15 Comments on “Sparkle String”

1. chrissieann says:

What fun cards Heather, you are always so full of bright ideas!
    Chrissie x

2. Carolyn says:

Hi Heather I love your work, and always read your posts straightaway. When I watched your video the other day, I discovered (by your accent) that you are an Aussie! yay! Me too! Just saying hi! That is all. Best wishes

Carolyn Ahearne Mobile 0414 403 769 Facebook Cards by Caz

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 07:03:00 +0000 To: carolyn.ahearne@live.com.au

3. Ingrid says:

Love this one too! Your son’s card is SO cool! I LOVE his idea about the battery operated light…that is amazing. Very talented…though, I’m not surprised…lol! 😉 Thanks for sharing that with us.

4. Elaine says:

Brilliant cards. Yours is great with the neon string of lights and I love your son’s card with those floodlights. Obviously has your talent!!

5. barbcccc says:

I love your work, Heather, especially all the watercolor techniques. You explain things so well and I’ve learned so much from you. I love the Penny Black materials and you always have a unique twist in using them. I appreciate that. Your son’s card was awesome, too.

6. Vicki B says:

I was debating about getting that string of lights die. Your card is great so I may just have to get the die afterall. Love the glazed and sparkle you gave the lights…..makes it look like they are really lit up. Great description of the process you used. I have a question though…..if you glued the lights but not the cord, how did you get it to stick.

Your son created a really great card too!

• Heather says:

Hi Vicki,
      As the string of lights is all joined together having the bulbs glued down holds the cord in place. You can see in one place it overlaps one of the bulbs. Thanks for your kind comments.

• Vicki B says:

If I’d have taken a minute (or more), I should have realized that. Should have had more coffee to my brain started. 🙂 Thank you!!!

7. Vicki B says:

Oh, and thank you for mentioning the transfer sheet. The sentiment die cuts can be a real challenge to attach with tiny dots of glue. 🙂

8. jmhave44 says:

Oh my goodness! That is fabulous that your son has inherited the card-making (artistic!) gene. His card is a wonder, and how imaginative with those stickers to make such a terrific card. Tell him he did wonderful with this motif in stickers. Doesn’t look like a ‘sticker’ card at all. Am loving the Christmas lights against the black, and of course love the inlay technique. I have been wondering why I should buy more ink pads (these neon pads) since I have so many already. You are making me realize why with the colors on these lights. Thanks for the tip to achieve the glow on the black as well. Like the WoS splashes very much. Thanks for your visit & kind comment. Have a great day, and TFS – Hugs

9. Both are awesome cards; I will be CASEing the Christmas card for sure! I just have to say your son’s card is phenomenal too! I love all the sketched details! My son plays the drums and totally love receiving a card like that. Clearly the Telford artistic trait is genetic 🙂

10. Like Mother like Son… the talents pass on to the next generation. I think your Christmas lights could be lit up, too. Either way they are both great cards! Lucky recipients.
    Hugs

I like how you use art to make your bulbs glow, and your son uses science. 😉 Love how the string of lights turned out, they really are very festive! And your son’s card is a hoot. 🙂

12. […] this “Merry Christmas” die cut last week but it looked very different coloured with a silver sharpie. I coloured it for today’s card with gold embossing powder and used the same powder to emboss […]