The reason why

Lanterns Heather Telford

June has been a busy month for our family leaving very little time for stamping and cardmaking. Today I finally made it back to my craft table and found a watercoloured panel from a class I taught a few weeks ago. To create the panel I taped a piece of watercolour paper down and wet the whole panel. I then painted distress stains onto the wet surface and tilted the panel to let the colours run and blend. While it was still wet I sprinkled salt over the panel resulting in the patterns you see below. For the class we stamped over the patterns but I decided this leftover panel would be perfect for the little lanterns from the “After Glow” die cut set.

Lanterns detail 2 Heather Telford

I used Radiant Neon Electric Blue ink to create the background below. My intention was to create an abstract sky so I used a wavy mask cut from masking paper and sponged over it numerous times. When I started arranging the lanterns I changed my mind about the sky and turned the blue panel on its side and added bamboo as a side border.

Lanterns detail 1 Heather Telford

I added strings for the lanterns with Pitt Artist Pens and popped up the lanterns with dimensional tape. I found a sentiment I wanted to add but there was no room on the front so I will add it inside.

Lanterns closeup Heather Telford

Stamps: Bamboo Branch (PB)
Dies:  After Glow (PB)
Inks: Versafine Onyx Black, Radiant Neon Electric Blue (Tsukineko) Barn Door, Spiced Marmalade, Mustard Seeds  Distress stains (Ranger)
Markers: Pitt Artist Pen (Faber Castell)
Cardstock: Neenah Classic Crest Avon Brilliant White 110lb smooth Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper

Even though I have not been making cards over the last week or so I have been busy creating. My daughter went to her prom last night in a dress I made for her. The bodice is a pale pink textured brocade and the skirt is four layers of tulle over satin.  I did enjoy sewing again but perhaps I should allow a little more than 12 days next time I take on a formal gown!

ABT(scaled)

21 Comments on “The reason why”

1. Char says:

Perfect trifecta: beautiful card, gorgeous girl, lovely dress. 🙂

2. Carol L says:

Your card is beautiful and so is the pretty prom dress you made, but the real beauty here is your daughter! I thought you posted a picture of Taylor Swift until I read the details! She’s a gorgeous girl, and you must be a real proud mom 🙂

3. Mary H. says:

Oh my, did I love this bright card. Very electric with the vibrant colors you chose, and the interesting design. Also enjoyed seeing your beautiful daughter in the lovely dress that you made especially for her. She looks gorgeous in the creation and it certainly fits my idea of what a prom dress for a young lady should look like! I’m sure she felt like a real princess in this ensemble. You are so very talented in what you do. TFS

4. Joan B says:

Your daughter, the gown and the card are gorgeous!! Love that tulle.

5. Rufus says:

Gorgeous card and even more lovely daughter! You did a fantastic job on her dress and she looks lovely. Hope that she had a marvelous time.
    R/

6. Paulette S says:

Hi Heather! I always love your card art. The sponging, water color painting and stamping are magnificent. Your daughter looks lovely in her beautiful dress. I have only repaired some formals. I can’t imagine making one from scratch. LOL You did a great job and I know she had to be so proud. I did make a floor length dress for myself one year, for the Christmas party @ Toyota. I’d gone to JoAnn’s fabrics and purchased some pretty black fabric from a long roll, that had some interesting swipes of color along with some gold (all in wide and thin brush strokes). While home at my parents, that year for ThanksGiving, I was looking at the JCPenny or Sears catalog and realized my dress fabric was a bed spread!! They gave my husband a rolex watch that year for his excellent service as service director. And there I stood beside him in my bed spread. LOL It wasn’t even lined, and I just hoped no stray threads were hanging out!

7. Doris Hubbard says:

The daughter and gown are lovely!!

Sent from my iPad

8. Dear Heather – your daughter is gorgeous and that dress is just fabulous! Wow – you are so talented! You daughter is quite lucky to have such an amazing Mom!

9. Sharen Dyck says:

Beautiful job on the dress.
    Such a gores daughter.
    You are very talented.

10. konarose says:

That would have taken me 12 yrs! It is glorious and she is beautiful. I also love your asian card with the salt and background ♥

11. Helen G. says:

Wow! She is beautiful! And your card is fabulous!

12. Carolyn says:

Card and dress are very pretty! 🙂

Sent from my Windows Phone ________________________________

13. Your daughter looks beautiful in the gorgeous dress you made! The card is fabulous too, I love the background and the watercolour lanterns are perfect! xx

14. stonevab says:

Just lovely

Janice R Stone. Joy and peace and love

15. Love the beautiful intense colour on this design….and such a pretty daughter and dress! Great job on the sewing! My mom sewed so many of my special dresses growing up…and she still sewed my dress for our daughter’s grad this spring too 🙂 I did not inherit that sewing gene!

16. Janet Castle says:

LOVE your design Heather!!!! Your lovely daughter does justice to your sewing talents too!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan

17. Your card is beautifully done! BUT I have to say your daughter looks stunning in the photo. What a beautiful gown you made for her. I remember my prom dresses were all made by my Mother! Wouldn’t buy a new one at all. My Mom’s were as beautiful as the one you made for your daughter!

So you sew just as beautifully as you stamp and paint! What a gorgeous prom gown, and your daughter looks absolutely beautiful. And your painted panel was perfect for the die cut lanterns for this lovely card.

19. Denise says:

Hi Heather, cards are lovely – fab backgrounds…Your daughter is beautiful and dress is just soooo loverly…Hugs..Denise (UK)

20. Karen says:

What a beautiful card! I love how all the different elements come together. So glad you posted a picture of the finished dress, and so nice to see it being worn! Your daughter is absolutely beautiful and the dress looks stunning on her. You must be so proud!