Fern birthday card

Fern birthday

After playing around with sponging on tags the other day I decided to make my panel a bit larger and use the same technique. These colours are an unusual combination but made me think of rainforests with a bit of sun breaking through the canopy. If you look closely at the top right hand corner of the panel the green and purple inks have created a cool “photo negative” effect. I am going to play with that idea again for sure.

My process was pretty much the same as with the tags. I stamped the dot background in green, sponged in green then added fern stamps in green. I chose elderberry as my contrasting colour and added perimeter sponging, ferns and the sentiment several times to complete the panel. I did a little intentional restamping again for the out of focus effect; I am just messing with your eyesight!

This card works for the current Less is More challenge where we have to frame something on our card. I have framed both by masking the border of my image panel and by popping it up on the card base.

Stamps: Schizeas, Edge to EdgeDots in Space PB)
Inks: Memento New Sprout, Bamboo Leaves, Elderberry (Tsukineko)

8 Comments on “Fern birthday card”

1. sathyakala says:

Awesome card..Love all details….Great stamping….Thanks for all ur tutorials…

2. Mary H. says:

Fabulous. Such a cool summer look, and I’m liking what you did with the purple & green combo on the corners. Ferns always look ‘cool’ to me…TFS another lovely card.

3. Sally H says:

A Stunning card, heather. I don’t think I have ever put green and purple together, but it works so well! Will definitely be trying it. Thanks for all the inspiration

4. Dianne says:

Heather this card is wow so REAL:) it really looks like someone shining a light in the foggy forest in the night, its an amazing card, more like a piece of art, have a great day and thanks for sharing..

The elderberry works so well for the sponging here! Beautiful collage of images.

6. Janet Castle says:

A rain forest indeed…beautifully done! TFS your expertise Heather.

7. Chrissie says:

I’m really sorry I’m so late in visiting, but last week completely got away from me.
    This is as fabulous as ever Heather.
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    “Less is More”

8. Anne from France says:

I wasn’t sure I liked this at first but the more you look at it, the more you are drawn into it. The unusual colour combo gives it a sense of depth that green alone cannot do. I certainly think that the amount of purple has to be limited as it could dominate everything else and I think you have the balance right. Gosh you are bold in your designing….I like that! I’m still in my box….:O)