Watercolour Dandelions

Watercolour dandelions

I am having a great time playing with watercolour and Penny Black’s flower and nature stamps. I definitely experience some frustration along the way but I feel like I am making progress all the same. At times I have gone too far in my watercolouring and the colours end up muddy but happily I also find sometimes I have not continued long enough and the addition of one more colour or a bit more colour intensity is all I need to complete my project. It is important to remember that watercolour paint(or pencils) always dry paler so if it already looks pale to you when it’s wet it is only going to get paler!

To create the row of dandelions I embossed four in a row with clear powder. I coloured the centres of the dandelions with dark grey pencils(all the pencils I used were watercolour), then around and below the dandelions with light green. I found the green needed to be much stronger so created a little green “paint” by mixing water and the lead of the green pencil. I painted this on blending with water as I went. I sponged the sky and dropped water onto it to create a cloudy effect. To make the dandelions pop a little more I coloured over them with orange and yellow pencils blending with water. At this point I noticed that the centres of the dandelions didn’t stand out enough so used a black marker to darken them. Last of all I added the music background but I am not sure that it was needed??

Both my recent watercolour cards have had no sentiment; there is a space for one on this card so I might add one when I decide who will receive it.

Speaking of sentiments there is a new One Layer Wednesday Challenge over on Susan’s blog.

Stamps: Tweet Tweet Music Background (Penny Black)
Inks: Memento Summer Sky ink & black marker, Versamark (Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper, Mix & Match cardstock
Also: Fabercastell watercolour pencils

26 Comments on “Watercolour Dandelions”

1. Dianna says:

This is so pretty! Recently I saw a cute saying that I’m going to use on a card soon: “Roses are red, violets are blue, but they don’t get around like the dandelions do!”. Your card reminded me of that.

2. Beverly Robinson says:

I love this card! What a great outcome. I like Fabriano paper, too. Thanks for the directions.

3. diana says:

Lovely! TFS 😉

4. Janet Castle says:

Soft coloring with a beautiful result! TFS

5. Beverly Robinson says:

I think the notes detract a bit from the dandelions. It’s lovely, though.

6. Mary H. says:

Lovely, and I think the music adds just a subtle touch to the background, making the flowers pop out…and I LIKE it! Oh thanks for saying that you get frustrated too. You are so skilled at this art, it’s hard to imagine such. Sure wish you’d come to my area & do some classes….Thanks also for the description of the how-to. It helps a lot. TFS

7. Shirley-bee says:

Ooh, I love this, Heather! I like the addition of the subtle music background. Definitely going to try this technique.

8. Marja says:

Fantastic Heather. Such a light and lovely card.
    lovely greet
    Marja

9. Isabelle P. says:

Le travail des encres et aquarelles est impressionnant ! Ta carte est splendide, j’adore !

10. It is so helpful that you include the type of watercolour paper you used. I know what you mean about making progress & finding out what works & what doesn’t midst all the frustration of binning umpteen attempts. It’s worth it in the end for the knowledge becomes so solidly grounded. Thank you for giving such terrific blog tutorials with information that my brain is thoroughly fed by.
    Paula (PEP)

11. Peggy says:

What a pretty card – so cheerful! Thank you so much – not only for sharing your cards but also giving us helpful details. You really encourage me to try different techniques and I like that. It was funny, too, as I was reading I was wondering if you used special paper… and there it was in your supplies list. You’re great! Just what I need to get my creative juices flowing. Thank you!

12. Cheryl McAskill says:

The music is Spring singing!!! Thanks for sharing!

13. Gabby says:

Such a light, refreshing card! Great inking (love the drips) and fly away dandelions. The subtle music bkgrd is a fab addition, as well. 🙂

14. LaVon says:

Love the watercolors! Thanks for the dry vs wet tip.

15. Linda W says:

I love the watercolor techniques you are trying-it has made me dig out my stuff and try again. You are an inspiration.

16. Maureen Chandler says:

This is so beautiful – thanks for explaining all the steps!

17. Tanis S says:

Wow, Heather. This is beyond gorgeous! I suppose you didn’t need the musical notes because I didn’t notice them until you mentioned it. I was too blown away by the great job you did with the colors. I will definitely be saving this for inspiration!

18. Linda says:

I SO enjoy what you do! Thank you for sharing your talents.

19. Cat Craig says:

Stunning, i would fame it!

Wow, you have really outdone yourself here, Heather! Perfect watercolour image.

21. nise says:

Thank you for adding some summer to my day! This is GORGEOUS! You having an amazing talent and I so appreciate that you share how you create your art. I have a notion of what I might be playing with next time I venture into my studio. Happy Weekend!

22. Pamela G says:

This card is so tactile that I almost feel as if a slight tap would knock the heads off the dandelions! I think the background music adds subtle texture. Thanks for sharing your wonderful talent.

23. Frieda says:

Liebe Heather !

Ich liebe ALLE Ihre Kunstwerke !!
    Und, sie beschreiben so gut, wie sie es gemacht haben. Vielen Dank dafür. So kann ich auch versuchen solche schönen Dinge zu basteln.

Herzlichst