Sweet Melody

Sweet Melody

This is one of those cards which almost ended up in the discard pile but with some slicing and rearranging survived.

I began by embossing the music background stamp in clear powder but when I sprinkled the powder on I purposely missed some areas so the final image would be patchy. I then sponged Memento desert sand and rhubarb stalk over the panel. I stamped the bird cage in rhubarb stalk and immediately blended with water adding some ink droplets here and there. The bird, sentiment and flourishes around the perimeter are stamped in Versafine Deep Lagoon to create a contrasting colour scheme.

The panel I started creating was horizontal with the birdcage on the left and the sentiment on the right but when I’d finished stamping I didn’t like the layout. It was at this point I considered tossing it. Instead I sliced it in half and positioned one panel over the other, added a ribbon over the join and ended up with the layout you see here.

Thanks for visiting and thanks for leaving such encouraging comments. I am always happy to read that you have been inspired to try something you’ve seen here.

Stamps:ย Music Background, ย Eloquence, Sweet Melody
Inks: Memento Desert Sand & Rhubarb Stalk, Versafine Deep Lagoon, Versamark (Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Fabriano hotpressed watercolour paper,
Also: Navy satin ribbon, clear embossing powder

15 Comments on “Sweet Melody”

1. Liz says:

Love the way you make a “silk purse out of a sows ear”. Very creative of you, but then most of your designs are beautiful and very creative.

2. Janet Castle says:

Very pretty Heather…and such a wonderful design!!!

3. Claude TECHER says:

magnifique ! j’aime beaucoup beaucoup !!!!!!

4. Gabby says:

NICE card! Like the corner scrolling, the emb music bkgrd w/the birdcage atop. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Mary H. says:

So pretty & like the colors you used. It’s always intriguing to read about your ‘saves’. Is encouraging to the rest of us who try to emulate your techniques! TFS

6. Magee says:

Everyday I visit your site and receive inspiration and helpful hints. Today once again I am lifted in the creative spirit! – Magee

Lovely card Heather. Nice to know someone else has those moments like me. I have a batch of sentiments printed onto vellum so it goes with anything and can be added at the last minute when I’ve completely mis-planned a card.

8. pattisj says:

I’m glad this didn’t make it to the discard pile–great save! I like the stamps and colors you used.

9. diana says:

Lovely card! Thanks for explaining your design process and for showing us how you ‘save’ a card, too. ๐Ÿ˜‰

10. Sometimes it is better to walk away for a while, even a few days! Then when you come back to a card you can usually discover what needs doing. Showing it in a mirror is always a good trick too….somehow the reflection give you a different perspective. I’m so pleased you kept it because the process is fascinating and the card beautifuly different and quite enchanting! Thanks for being so up front about your creative journey! That in itself inspires!

Ah, the old ribbon cover trick! Nicely played — I’m glad a little rehab saved this, it’s a very pretty final product!

12. Dianne says:

Well it was a brilliant idea cause that card is GORGEOUSSSSS thanks for sharing you creativity and have a great day Miss Heather

13. Haley D. says:

Your card is lovely! Thanks for sharing how you made lemonade out of a lemon. ๐Ÿ˜‰

14. Sally H says:

A beautiful combination of stamps and the colours are so beautiful, Heather! Thank you for sharing another brilliant tip for saving a card – inspired!