Analogous collage

Analogous collage

I have another collage card today, this one with a colour scheme more common in my work but probably not as striking as the previous contrasting scheme. An analogous colour scheme is one made up of colours side by side on the colour wheel. An analogous colour scheme works well for a sympathy or get well card because it is more soothing and harmonious than a contrasting one.

To create this card I positioned a mask across the lower third of the card and stamped the branch around the edges, lifting the mask once so a twig could fall below the line. I stamped a couple of times without re-inking to get that misty background look. I partially inked the music background in grey and stamped to the right of the panel then added the blue and green sponging with a little grey on the right.

My older daughter and I were discussing the sentiment; she felt that it always seems a little odd to send a card saying “get well soon” or “feel better soon” as it sounds like a command! As if someone wouldn’t feel better if they could. I guess it is probably short for “I hope you feel better soon”. That is the meaning behind this card made for my son’s writing class teacher who has fractured her wrist.

Stamps: Berry Branch, Music Background, Feel Better (Penny Black)
Inks: Memento London Fog, Summer Sky, Olive Grove (Tsukineko)

22 Comments on “Analogous collage”

1. Chrissie says:

Well I’ve learned something new today Heather, and what a good word it is too, now if only I can remember it!
    This is beautiful and you’re right, it certainly is soothing.
    Chrissie

2. What a fabulous card, so atmospheric and peaceful.

3. Janet Ribet says:

Just love this – so soft and beautiful. Love the leaf dropping below the scene.

4. Amy V. says:

Those colors and design are truly soothing. I love the way you have one branch extending into the white space. I agree with your daughter, it is a bit odd how we “demand” they feel better soon! I learned a lot from your post today…thanks so much!

5. Mary H. says:

Yes, this one is definitely soothing. Love the branch dropping below on the white. Perfect artistic touch. The soft gray music stamping is so very lovely with the branches. Marvelous card. And thanks for checking on my sponging progress! I appreciated it. Hugs

6. cecile53 says:

so beautifull ! And what a great stamp.

7. Marie says:

Absolutely stunning card.

8. Vicky says:

HA! I’ve had the same thoughts as your daughter…:) And yet – there aren’t a lot of options that don’t use too many words. Luckily the thought behind the sentiment is universal…:) Heather – your cards are always an inspiration to me and this one is no exception; beautiful. Thank you for sharing your art…:)

9. So pretty. I like the sentiment –I have a stamp that says Better Get Better and that does sound like a command to me.

10. Sally H says:

Another gorgeous card, Heather and a wonderful word too! Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog too. Very much appreciated

11. Olga Borda says:

Beautiful card! I love your work.

12. Pai says:

Spectacular!

13. nise says:

Well, I like this analogous one better than the complementary one! This is just gorgeous. LOVE the colors and how you have the one branch drop down. I steer clear of the “get well soon” cards and use “thinking of you” instead. My card making started in the last century for my Grandma. She sent cards for the church and didn’t like the get well ones because many of the people she sent to weren’t going to get well. It was hard to find thinking of you, so I started making them for her. And the rest they say is history! Thanks for sharing and letting me reminisce about my “roots”.

14. Karenajo says:

Love this card and appreciate the detail you give for making it. Just beautiful !

15. Doris says:

This card is now in my faves folder. I also agree with your daughter abiut saying “get well soon” and have changed it to “feel better soon” which sounds more attainable.

16. Francie Trueman says:

Breathtaking! It’s so lovely.

17. A very serene card and I love the branch dropping off the inked area. I like your daughter’s thoughts on the sentiment. xx

18. […] of recognition for her ah-may-zing stuff ( seriously, go see, CASE her – I’ve already Pinned her latest card […]

Having that one branch dropping below the masked line really makes this card. Beautiful use of colours, too.

20. […] Analogous Collage – super Stempeltechnik. Toll maskiert, koloriert und gestempelt. […]