An Inky ExperimentPosted: August 15, 2011
The Less is More challenge this week calls for us to use ink. Well that is no problem; I always use ink. When I read more however, I noticed the encouragement to use it in a way you haven’t tried before. So my card is somewhat experimental. It was only after I had completed two expermiments that I noticed the challenge also suggested using a favourite technique! Now that would have been easier. But experimentation is important; occasionally wonderful effects are created. This experiment needs a little refining but I will show you anyhow.
I used watercolour paper which had a lot of texture. Unfortunately this paper does not work well for stamping but is fine for sloshing ink around. I used masking fluid to paint a square border and then painted water into the square area before adding droplets of ink. I let the ink spread, tilting the paper a little to make it head in different directions. I used only two colours but the green ink split into pigments which gave me a pinky brown as well. After the ink dried I stamped the feathers and embossed them. The texture of the paper was difficult to work with as the ink didn’t reach the indents but the powder did.
I may continue to play around with this technique, particularly trialing different papers. Make sure you check out the challenge gallery at Less is More. Inspiration abounds as always.
Stamps: Feather C-1536 (PSX)
Inks: Buckaroo Blue & True Thyme inks (SU), Versafine Onyx Black
Cardstock: Demco Watercolour paper