Art Journal variations on a theme

The three journals featured in today’s post are getting quite full. One contains only projects completed during my art journal adventure workshops and the other two have a mix of workshop pages and other experiments and explorations. I have enjoyed art journalling for years but in the last twelve months it has captured more of my interest. Possible techniques or layouts continue to pop into my head waiting for a chance to be tried in the newer 6″x 6″ Ranger journals or the 6″x 9″ Fabriano journals I started years ago.

Sometimes I design a page especially with the art journal adventure in mind. Other times I look through the journals and decide to feature a technique, theme or mixed media material. By the time I have tried the page once or twice then completed fresh ones during the workshops I have four or five pages made with the same theme or technique. I am not keen to make the same thing more than once so I am always thinking about different ways to approach each page.

The five spreads featured today started with the one below (featured in more detail in a previous blog post). The technique remained the same for at each workshop, but the shapes, colours and layout varied from one session to the next.

Of course not only are my pages different from each other but every page in the class is unique and I am always inspired by the colour choices, additional elements and different approaches each participant takes. Inspiration abounds. Can you tell I am enjoying myself?

Supplies
(Compensated affiliate links used when possible)

7 Comments on “Art Journal variations on a theme”

1. Bonnie says:

Wonderful journal pages, Heather! I’d love to try this but don’t know where to start.

I love that these journal pages have a common idea behind them and they are all beautiful. I bought a journal quite a while ago and have never even started it yet. x

3. nancystiz says:

What fun and colorful pages. I love seeing these since I probably won’t do an art journal. Then again you offer some fantastic pages to make me sit down and play. Love these!

4. Patricia Rowe says:

As usual, the colors are perfect and the overall effect is stunning. I always look forward to see what surprises you have in store for us.
    Happy summer.
    Tish Rowe

5. Gorgeous pages Heather, I love the variation on a theme, such gorgeous colours and pretty images used. xx

6. Liane Cavanagh says:

I love your Art Journaling classes.
    Full confession, at first I was reluctant because Art Journaling is not my medium. I’m a committed card maker, I’m not an artist!
    Your class offered me a way to restart my desire to create. And, wow did it do that!
    I am playing with new techniques, new colour combinations, and new products that I have never used.
    Thank you so much for making this less scarey, and for opening up a whole new world of possibilities!

7. nise says:

These are so colorful and beautiful. You never go wrong with flowers or birds.