Alexandra Renke PoppiesPosted: January 28, 2019 Filed under: poppy flower dies, poppy flower stamps | Tags: Alexandra Renke, Penny Black stamps 4 Comments
After making a gift set of cards with the ‘blissbloss’ stamp I was inspired follow the same process with another stamp set. This time I used Alexandra Renke’s pretty poppy stamp set and her poppy dies. I used Catherine Pooler inks for the watercolour effect on the poppies and for the tiny sentiments.
I started with a 10″x7″ panel of hot pressed watercolour paper. There are five poppy stamps in the set so I positioned them randomly over the panel while in the stamp positioner. I inked the petals first in samba ink then dabbed some rockin’ red ink on the sides or edges but not covering the whole flower. I spritzed then stamped. I wiped off the stamps then inked the stems in eucalyptus ink and stamped again. I moved the panel and repeated the process to fill the panel with poppies. In order to get even spacing I had to clean and reposition the stamps a couple of times but eventually I had the panel covered. At this point I changed my mind and crowded in a few more flowers in a couple of areas using the CP bellini ink along with CP samba to make paler poppies. I added some eucalyptus ink splatter and some gold splatter using one of the gansai tambi gold paints then called it complete.
To create the cards I cut some panels to 5 ½” so they would stretch the length or height of the card and used co-ordinating cardstock to frame and mat the panels. I also cut several poppies using the Alexandra Renke poppy flower dies in light peach, dark peach and light gold cardstock. I don’t have a formula for creating five cards from the panel; basically I played with ideas until they looked ok!
The poppy stamp set has the same seven sentiments in English, French, German and Spanish so I stamped sentiments on a few of the panels using the same word in four languages to fill spaces between the poppies. On one card I needed a larger sentiment so I used a Penny Black stamp from the ‘happy snippets’ set.
I used light weight vellum over one of the watercolour panels to soften the colours and make the die cuts stand out.
I’m hoping to sell cards at a market in the not too distant future so having a few gift sets might be a good idea.
Stamps: poppy flower set (Alexandra Renke)
Dies: poppy flower dies (Alexandra Renke)
Cardstock: hot pressed watercolour, Neenah cream, light weight vellum, light gold, dark peach, light peach
Inks: samba, rockin’ red, bellini, eucalyptus (Catherine Pooler)
Paint: gansai tambi starry colours
Also: stamp positioner, diamond glaze, gold cord
Beautiful poppies Heather and I love the designs using a die as well as the poppy stamps also the vellum on the last, and a great idea to make a large panel and then cut it to suit the different orientation, and to get such a great variety of looks on the five gorgeous cards. x
These are so beautiful Heather, I love the different languages for the sentiment. They are all lovely but I think my favourite is the one with the vellum and gold poppy, so pretty 🙂
I think the vellum one is my favourite too. I might use that technique on a few more cards in the future