In the Garden: Astilbe

Astilbe Heather Telford

The second of my ‘in the garden’ flowers was harder to identify than the first. The stamp is a silhouette so I have to go by the shape rather than any details. It could be several plants but for the purposes of this post I am labelling it ‘Astilbe’ as seen in the photo here.

The technique for this one is smoosh, stamp, spritz and splatter with distress stains whereas yesterday’s was more controlled swipe, stamp, then paint. When using distress stains to ink a stamp you can’t guarantee an even coverage like you get with an ink pad; I like the unpredictable light and dark and the wetter and dryer areas too. You can’t see in this picture but some of the spritz was pearl-ex and water so there is a subtle gold sheen to the leaves and flowers.

Stamps: Floral & Feathers, Sprinkles & Smiles (PB)
Inks:  Forest Moss, Ripe Persimmon, Aged Mahogany distress stains (Ranger) Versafine Onyx Black (ImagineCrafts/Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Fabriano 100%  cotton hot pressed watercolour paper, Green cardstock

8 Comments on “In the Garden: Astilbe”

Love how it looks like the sunlight is shining through the foliage. Definitely works as astilbe — do you think in blue it could be delphinium?

• Heather says:

Yes definitely, when I was doing my google search for ‘tall flowers’ (hah!) the delphiniums would have fitted the silhouette but I didn’t think about appropriate colours when stamping, I just picked colours I liked then tried to find a flower to match!

2. Micheline Jourdain says:

Beautiful Heather! Les couleurs sont incroyables! Colors are terrific! Love it!

As a delphinium or an astilbe or maybe in a brighter pink a foxglove, but whichever, it is beautiful Heather. x

4. Dewi Lam says:

Yeah! Nice gardennnnn! Look like pressed leave but nicer!!!!

5. Maria says:

Astilbe, Delphinium or any kind of flower your card
    is greeeeeat ! 🙂 Love your talent Heather.

6. […] side of my scene. This is the final card in my In the Garden mini series; the others are here, here and […]