Tulip Garden

Tulip Garden Heather Telford

I am not seeing any tulips around here yet. We had 25°C on Monday then snow and ice again on Tuesday!  To create this tulip garden I used a stamp from the new transparent set Garden Blooms. I stamped it three times in a row with Memento Dandelion ink. I used watercolour pencils and a waterbrush to add the colour beginning with a loose yellow wash over all the flowers. I then added some light and dark orange tones and painted it on in the shape of the tulips. I painted with green over the stems and flicked some colour over the whole panel. The sentiment is stamped on a scrap of watercolour paper and popped up on the panel with a strip of organza ribbon across the top.

_DSC3163 Tulip Garden detail Heather Telford

The finished panel was wider than 5½”, the size of card I usually make so I looked for an envelope which would fit a larger card and cropped the panel accordingly. The envelope I found just happened to be vellum so I my tulips stayed on display even when in the envelope. (below) I added a white sticker so I could address it clearly and put it in the post to Australia. I think I have mentioned my postal problems here before. I am not very good at getting cards in envelopes and equally bad at getting envelopes in the mail. So I am excited to think that this one may have arrived at its destination already for a friend whose birthday is today.

Tulip garden in vellum envelope Heather Telford

Stamps: Flourish BirthdayGarden Blooms (PB)
Pencils: Albrecht Durer Watercolour pencils Orange Yellow 109, Light Orange 113, Vermillion 117, Moss Green 168 (Faber-Castell)
Inks: Memento Dandelion, Olive Grove (Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper
Also: Organza ribbon

14 Comments on “Tulip Garden”

1. Janet Castle says:

Beautiful card Heather…as always, your art is amazing!
    Jan

2. dlweldon says:

Wow. So pretty…

3. lesliekmiller says:

Oh, such a pretty soft orange shade! Love how you added the organza strip right over the sentiment. Never thought to do that. Your birthday friend will love this!

4. dsmiles2 says:

Lovely! I really enjoy how the Memento colors are conducive to different styles – your watercolor tulips are beautiful! hugs, de

5. Doris Hubbard says:

I love this!!!!

Sent from my iPad

6. judy stevens says:

Thank you for sharing this. It is simply lovely! You have given me a couple of new, do it right now ideas which is always so helpful. And, I always need help in remembering how beautiful orange and yellow really are.

7. jmhave44 says:

Beautiful. I love this set, and you’ve showcased the tulips marvelously in the sunny colors. Happy Easter & TFS

8. SathyaKala says:

Beautiful as always…its always a feast to visit ur creations here 🙂

9. Yvette says:

Beautiful!!! Love how you added the organza strip right over the sentiment.

10. Karen Petitt says:

Beautiful, stunning and so perfect for spring! Thank you so much for sharing how you do this Heather – I must practice with my Memento inks and water colour pencils – I love your gorgeous creations.
    Thank you so much for sharing your art with us and for the inspiration too. Have a lovely and Happy Easter Karen P x

No tulips here, either — but the latest dump of snow is almost gone, thank goodness. Luckily we can look at beautiful card tulips!

12. Gabby says:

Beautiful coloring! Like this new stamp set. 🙂

13. ar0se4u2 says:

I was just looking at vellum envelopes this week- what a great way to showcase your work thru the mail.

14. I’ve noticed your cards on the Penny black blog & stopped by to see what else you’ve made. I love your watercoloring on so many of these cards. I’m adding you to my list of inspiration blogs!