Spots and stripes

dots and stripes

I am just going to make the deadline for this week’s Less is More challenge. I haven’t taken on many stamping challenges lately so I wanted to do this one. When I saw this dramatic card by Pamela, I knew I had my layout; I just needed to work out how to add the spots and stripes. I reached for my trusty background stamps including one I rarely pull out, the woodgrain stamp from the Penny Black slapstick cling set, Inspiring. I also used the new background Dots in Space. Both stamps were inked with Memento ink pads but markers would have worked well too. I used the same inks to sponge after stamping.

It took me two attempts to make this card! On my first try I had all the colour panel complete, then managed to stamp the sentiment straight also only to mess up the line of dashes! What line of dashes, you ask? It did not get invited back for my second attempt but if I had found the right little birthday silhoutte stamp to stamp over the colour panel on the left I might have done that.

Anyway, there you have it a colourful card for any age, male or female.

Stamps: Dots in Space, Friendship, Inspiring (PB)
Inks: Memento Love Letter, Tangelo, Dandelion, Cottage Ivy, Danube Blue & Versafine Onyx Black(Tsukineko)

10 Comments on “Spots and stripes”

1. Cornelia says:

This card is stunning – absolutely LOVE it!

2. This is absolutely fabulous! It looks really cool and as you said, would be suitable for anybody and wonderful for those, oh so difficult, guy cards! xx

3. Cat Craig says:

This might be my most favorite yet of your cards. Its so cool, stunningly gorgeous. Very nicely done!

4. KatieP says:

Heather, Can you please explain how you stamped the colors down? I love this card but just cannot figure out how you got the color to the card. Did you sponge them on or what?
    I am really loving your bright spring-y cards.

• Heather says:

Hi Katie,
      I applied the inks to the stamp just by inking a patch at a time, overlapping a bit with each colour. When I had stamped both the stripe stamp and the dots stamp I used sponges to sponge the same inks over each the corresponding colour of stamping on the cardbase. Hope that makes sense.

5. Vicki B says:

I really like this card. Great “less is more” design!

6. Jan Castle says:

Beautifully done Heather…so how about a video to show us how to do it…it certainly is a KEEPER!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan

7. Mary H. says:

Looks like a painting. Very modernistic. Very striking! I enjoyed your dashes story too TFS

Awesome card! Love how bold and graphic it is. I also recognized your inspiration right away from Pinterest. 😉

9. Therese says:

Love it! Really love your technique to get that gradient color!