Spots & Blossoms

Blooming Garden

This card started with a desire to use yet another of Penny Black’s new background stamps. In the finished product however, that stamp is barely visible. I began by flicking Lady Bug ink onto white cardstock then stamped the background stamp, Dots in space in pink. It was a pale pink and I had wiped off some of the ink before making the impression so it was a very subtle start. Over the dots I repeatedly stamped the blossom branch from Blooming Garden, also in Memento Angel Pink. Next I inked the same blossom stamp with Lady Bug Red and added Rich Cocoa ink to the stems with a marker. I sponged next with the same red and brown and added the sentiment in the space I had left. Adding the sentiment to the panel meant that I did not have anything to add to the card base to make a visual triangle (If you read Susan Raihala’s Simplicity blog you will know what I am talking about) so I punched an oval tucked it under the matted panel and place a small knot of ribbon on top. I didn’t exactly achieve a triangle but I added something to the white space on the right to lead the eye across the card.

Stamps: Blooming GardenDots in spaceEloquence (PB)
Inks: Memento Angel Pink, Lady Bug stamp pads and Rich Cocoa marker (Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Coral Reef Mix & Match Papers

12 Comments on “Spots & Blossoms”

1. annemarks says:

The pink red and brown works really well together, it’s a combination i have yet to try 🙂

2. jmhave44 says:

So subtle, yet so lovely. I like your idea of combining the red & brown…made a terrific color combo. I’ll check out the link to Simplicity, and TFS. This is a wonderful card, enjoyed reading how you created it. Thanks.

3. Janet Castle says:

It is always a treat to hear the process in making your beautiful cards! TFS Heather!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan

4. Heather,

Each one of your cards is truly a work of art. I never cease to be amazed and slightly awed by your talent.

5. Denise says:

Simply beautiful..lovely! Denise (UK) x

6. ooh this is so pretty, I love the colours and the background is gorgeous! xx

7. Lou Ann says:

I love your art and look forward to each masterpiece. Thanks

Having used Memento angel pink myself, I certainly understand why you refer to it as subtle. The finished card has just the right amount of impact, I think, and I do like your explanation of why you added the oval/ribbon. It certainly works in the overall design!

9. Dianne says:

Simply gorgeous card you created, thanks for sharing…

10. I wasn’t sure about the semi-oval tab at first but the more I looked at it the better the card is for it! I hadn’t thought about a triangular view…I keep that method for garden planting usually! It does work and makes me focus on the beautiful panel you have stamped. Wish I had that stamp as I am hosting a blossom themed mingle and this would be perfect! …how can I butter hubby up?…..:O) TFS!

11. Greta H says:

It may not be a triangle technically, but wow does it work! Love this design & I’m pinning it!