Inspired by tiles

I often find inspiration for cards in House magazines or flyers but I don’t always do something with the inspiration. When I saw the tiled bathroom wall below, however, I decided to turn it into a card.

I sponged all the tiles first by moving a post-it note gradually left to right and top to bottom sponging the edge after each move. The branches are stamped in versafine onyx black and highlighted with FaberCastell PolyChromos pencils.

It has been a bit quiet on the blog the last few days because we had a surprise party for my younger daughter’s 16th birthday. My older daughter made all the plans, contacted the guests, decorated and ran some games, my husband and I handled the food and my son lent his video editing talents to make a clever celebrity quiz. I had the job of getting her out of the house which was not too hard with the mention of shopping. The girls had a great time and my daughter was completely surprised!

Stamps:Oh Spring! , Free Flight (Penny Black)
Inks: Wheat Versamagic Chalk ink, Versfine Onyx Black (Tsukineko)
Also: Faber-Castell Polychromos Pencils

13 Comments on “Inspired by tiles”

1. Heather, you are the Queen of CASE! That’s amazing and such a lot of work and care went into it!

2. Valerie says:

wow, what a lot of work… i wouldn’t do it lol… but great job and a great card

greetings Valerie

3. Valerie says:

What patience you must have Heather! I love the effect you’ve created and it’s a brilliant case of the photo:)
    Val x

4. wow I can only imagine the time it took to make those tiles, but how beautifully this turned out!

5. Jan Castle says:

WOW…again! This seems to be my reaction to all your projects…LOL! This is simply outstanding! Thanks for the inspiration Heather!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan

6. Gery says:

You made quite a job of it Heather, sponging all the tiles…!!!!
    Stunning how you made the translation from bathroom to a card.
    It looks so beautifull
    Groetjes Gery

7. ND says:

I really love this one. It displays your creativity at its finest.
    BTW – we look forward to some scenes of the party on Sentient.

ND

8. You did a great job creating your inspiration card. Love the sponged background. Simply super.

9. You achieved such fabulous depth with your tile pattern that at first I thought you had used tiles!

10. Bahb says:

Hmmm, to me this looks easier than a solid-sponged background I always seem to mess up with a wee bit too much ink on the sponge just once. All those tiles aren’t meant to be exactly the same…..yep, I’m gonna try it. Thanks much for the inspiration and the instructions.

Bahb

You obviously love sponging to put the work into all those tiles! (You are also obviously so much better at sponging than I am, but that’s a different topic. :P) Beautiful card, well worth the sponging effort.

12. Mary Hansen says:

What a lovely reproduction of life to art! Your card art is amazing, thanks for sharing!

13. Beautiful!! Love the way you duplicated the design!! Have you ever watched Create and Craft? The website is http://www.createandcraft.tv Under a few of the tabs is a Highlighted column. If you check out “In the Classroom” by Barbara Gray you will find some great tutorials on using stamp sets and a brayer to create scenes for cards, scrapbooks or just to frame. I have only watched through lesson 5, but Barbara is totally awesome in showing these techniques. Just thought since you had made this card you might be interested in another technique.