Autumn Reflections

A few weeks back I made a one-layer card with a masked and sponged tree scene. Well the next step, in my mind anyway, was to try and create a scene with trees reflecting in water.   I had a few issues with this card and want to try again, but I’m still happy with my first attempt.

I didn’t set out to make a square card.  I pulled a piece of ivory cardstock out of the box, saw that it was already scored and set to work. First I positioned my  post-it note masks at the edges of the coloured sponged area, then I positioned another post-it mask half way down to mark the water’s edge.  I then sponged in blue, orange and yellow, with some brown right near the water.  Then I repositioned my middle mask and sponged the reflection side.   The trees were stamped next in both black and orange, after which I had to create my reflection.  This little trick I learnt from Michelle Zindorf, who stamps incredible scenes.  I inked the trees in black and stamped them onto the plastic sheet from the Stamp-a-ma-jig, which I then pressed onto the card.  After that it was just a matter of fiddling around with a marker to try and make the water’s edge a little more realistic.

After I was happy with all the sponging and stamping I removed the post-it notes to find that the cardbase I had stamped on was an inch shorter at the front than the back!  I can’t believe I didn’t notice at the beginning.  I didn’t want to matte it and stick it on another cardbase so it became a square card.

Thanks for dropping by.

Stamps: Lovely as a Tree, Teensy Tiny Wishes
Inks: Chocolate Chip, Summer Sun, Pumpkin Pie, Bashful Blue, Real Rust, Basic Black
Cardstock: Flourishes Classic Ivory

About these ads

17 Comments on “Autumn Reflections”

1. Joan V says:

This is so…..beautiful.

2. Lisa says:

Wow……what a beautiful card!

3. Nancy says:

Pretty much the perfect card – for Thanksgiving, for sympathy, – just awesome!

4. HEather – I am telling you – you rock at this “Heather’s technique” – lol. Seriously – excellent sponging!

5. What a stunningly pretty scene! The blue and orange are perfect together, and you’ve sponged so well…as usual! I agree with Vicki, you really have taken over this technique and made it your own!

6. Curt OBrien says:

You did a beautiful job on this! I love Michelle Zindorf’s work. I’m just now too playing around with her techniques and your card is certainly an inspiration. Best, Curt

7. sue says:

This card is just stunningly beautiful! I think the reflection is the most realistic I’ve seen. Just gorgeous!

8. Jo says:

Absolutely beautiful – I am so in love with this stamp set at the moment, and you’ve inspired me to try to take it to a new level.

9. Norman McDonald says:

Another Beautiful card! Thank you. Having spent the morning on the telephone with a number of difficult calls, I turned to your blog to see if there was anything new. . . . . and behold.
    You know how I enjoy capturing scenes of reflections in still water, so it was another special gift.
    By the way, I photographed many reflections in the flooded Murray River as we journeyed southy this past week. We will send some when we return home.

ND

10. This is a work of art. It is absolutely stunning and so effective,
    Love Sarita xx

11. Kathy says:

This is oh so perfect- love this beautiful scene with the reflected image of the trees!

12. Kez says:

Wow Heather, this card is STUNNING! Absolutely gorgeous and definitely makes me want to sit and try it myself. Thanks for the inspiration!

13. JodyM says:

Wonderful Card. Thanks for the tip on doing the reflection!

14. Bahb says:

What a sweetheart to give us the Zindorf-protege tutorial. It makes me think I MIGHT be able to do reflections, if I ever get good at making objects look farther away than they are. Reflections SOUND easy, but I’ll bet they aren’t. You sure did a terrific job on them.

Bahb

15. Monica K. says:

Oh my goodness, this is gorgeous! Love the reflection in the water and that stunning sunset.

16. This is truly so gorgeous!

17. [...] of first sets I bought, Lovely as a Tree is an old favourite. This card was a CASE of this beautiful card I saw quite some time ago on Heather Telford’s blog and wanted to [...]