Some of you will be familiar with the flower featured on this card. It’s the Australian waratah, state flower of New South Wales. When I was in NSW recently I visited ‘Alice in Paperland‘ in Port Macquarie and picked up this beauty. Due to my recent class I’m still on a no-line watercolour kick so that’s the method I chose for the stamp’s first inking. The set is called ‘Thanks a bunch’ and includes this large stamp, the sentiment I used and some little ones. I stamped in antique linen distress ink, kept the stamp and hot pressed watercolour panel in my stamp positioner then searched the interwebs for photos of waratahs. Even though I found plenty of bold red ones I chose a slightly more muted colour scheme and painted it with diluted aged mahogany ink. As usual I smooshed the aged mahogany ink pad on my glass mat so I could dilute the ink easily and pick it up with a paint brush. I worked petal by petal which took a while but I mixed up the process by switching to leaves while petals dried and also taking snack breaks.
I wanted the bluey greens of eucalyptus leaves so I used shabby shutters ink mixed with evergreen bough for one branch of leaves then bundled sage plus evergreen bough for the others. The remaining flower I painted in antique linen. For the stems I used the same greens and added some tea dye ink for a brown tinge. I used markers to ink the tiny gum blossoms and gumnuts, gathered twigs, festive berries and wild honey. Because I kept the stamp and panel in the positioner I was able to ink the centre of the waratahs with an aged mahogany marker which helped retain the fine detail. I think I accidentally inked the centre with gathered twigs once also, oops!
For the sentiment I used stazon claret because it matched the flowers so well. You might be able to see the texture on the finished panel; I achieved that look with the clever ‘subtle’ embossing folder by sizzix for Stampin’ Up.
This is the first card I’ve made with Paper Rose stamps but I do have a couple more of their stamps waiting in the wings.