Two Floral One-Layer cards

one-layer floral 1

I have been doing so much watercolour lately I thought I should check and see if I could still mask and sponge!

For both these cards I stamped and sponged through a post-it mask cut with a spellbinders square die. The hard part with a die cut mask is centering it on the card base. It took a few attempts. Lining the card base up on a gridded mat first helps a little. To create the pink scene I inked the stamp with an Angel pink ink pad then added the green and rhubarb ink to the stamp with markers.   I inked the text stamp with rhubarb ink but wiped some off before stamping so some text would fade to nothing. I sponged the edges with both pink and rhubarb ink.

one-layer floral 2

I also inked the stamp for the yellow and green scene with markers and spritzed it with water before stamping. I sponged the edges and added some splatter with a cool and easy technique I discovered by accident the other day. I held a watercolour pencil close to the panel and wiped a water brush back and forth across the coloured led sending splatter onto the card.

It’s the bleak mid-winter in Ottawa this week so I blew some frozen bubbles.

Stamps: Love ChapterPosies, Lofty (Penny Black)
Inks: Rhubarb Stalk, Angel Pink, Cottage Ivy, Cantaloupe, Potter’s Clay Olive Green, Bamboo leaves, Espresso Truffle (Tsukineko)
Also: Faber-Castell watercolour pencils and a water brush

17 Comments on “Two Floral One-Layer cards”

1. jillianfoster82 says:

Pretty! Just love that yellow one!! Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 01:51:31 +0000 To: jillianfoster82@hotmail.com

2. Mary H. says:

Lovely to see your signature sponging. Both of these are so spring-like and soothing to the eye. Couldn’t decide if I like pink or yellow both. Each is gorgeous …as usual. You’ve not lost your touch! TFS & Hugs

3. Elisa says:

You are so inspiring. Love them both!

4. Jan Castle says:

These are both really beautiful…thanks for sharing how you made them and the tip about splatter! Great ideas Heather! Thanks too for the ‘frozen bubbles’…I had never seen them before or even thought about trying it…really cool, as long as you don’t stay out very long – LOL!
    Jan

5. Leslie Miller says:

Beautiful, Heather! You truly have a gift!

6. konarose says:

Both are so simple and clean, yet very dramatic!

7. Mira says:

Gorgeous as usual, especially the daffodils

8. Elaine says:

I am trying your techniques and just loving it. These cards are beautiful.

9. Both these are stunning! I must try this technique xx

10. Nonni says:

Beautiful one layers! I love the masking and the flower stamps you’ve used.

11. Wow! Absolutely gorgeous! These look like water colour paintings simply stunning!

I think we can safely say your masking and sponging skills are undiminished. 😉 Such nice cards to look at on a cold windy day, too.

13. Nancy L. says:

Love them both!!! Very nice!!!!

14. Bettina 2 says:

Lovely as ever! I love Your work!
    But a little tip for centering the die cut mask on the card base: if You use a die cut, You have the frame AND the square in the middle. Use the square and place it on the card, so You can find exactly the best position. Then set the frame around it and remove the square. Ready!

15. Greta H says:

These are stunning pieces of art, Heather! Love the splatter tip–gotta try that.

16. judka says:

I love this technique .. I am off to try it. Don’t you love how stampers help each other out!!