More silhouettes

bird silhouettes

The challenge at CASology this week is Silhouette and I have managed to just squeak in with a card. Edited to add: I  finished this post only to find that I didn’t squeak in; the collection just closed 😦 Oh well, here are the details anyway!

My original concept for this card changed several times but that is a story you have heard more than once from me. I started by making three watercoloured small square backgrounds using Memento inks and a square acrylic block. I pressed the acrylic block onto the ink pads to pick up ink then added a drop or two of water to blend the inks. I then stamped the acrylic block onto water colour paper and let it dry before adding the silhouette stamps in black. As a background to the three scenes I masked and sponged in paler tones and added a large silhouette stamp in green and the sideways sentiment in black.

I have used a vertical three square layout many times before but it is only recently that I have been choosing to place all the elements on the right rather than the left hand side. (I was inspired by this lovely card)

Here are a few using the left hand side layout: holly cards, ferns

A couple using the right hand side layout: i love  you, green grasses

Do you have a preference? When I searched my blog for examples I found that a horizontal landscape oriented card with three tiles in the lower half of the panel is also a very common choice for me.  eg. fern fronds

Stamps: Tweet Tweet, Season’s WishesWinter Sky, Edge to edge (PB)
Inks: Memento Dandelion, Bamboo Leaves, New Sprout, Danube Blue, Summer Sky & Versafine Onyx Black(Tsukineko)

12 Comments on “More silhouettes”

1. trishreddick says:

Heather, I LOVE this card; birds, silhouettes, gorgeous color work, oh MY!

This seems like such a brilliant idea — using the acrylic block first instead of sponging or watercolouring after. So glad you shared this beautiful card, even if you did miss the CASology deadline. 😉 Not even going to talk about how often I’ve done that.

3. bmoan1 says:

I love to see your email in my box and always look forward ro seeing your distinct art.

Billie Moan Chattanooga,TN

Sent from my iPad

4. Gabby says:

Beautiful inked bkgrds for your pretty silhouette stamps. NICE card! 🙂

5. jmhave44 says:

Love these inchie sponged masterpieces. This card is a WOW – fer sure. TFS

6. Sandy M says:

Oh, too bad you missed your deadline Heather. I’ve done that many times! You always do such beautiful work with silhouettes. I am always inspired by your creations.

7. Claude TECHER says:

c’est beau ! j’aime beaucoup, beaucoup, beaucoup tes cartes !

8. Absolutely LOVE this card. I like both layouts but right side placement looks more modern somehow. Thank you for sharing your wonderful work. So inspiring.

9. Marja says:

SOOOO beautiful Heather
    lovely greet
    Marja

10. swanlady21 says:

Love the blue and yellow shading.

11. Beautiful colour graduations and lovely layout! Such a gorgeous card!

12. sheryruss says:

Hi, Heather. Your cards are always a delight to see and I’m always looking forward to new posts on your blog. This is one gorgeous card. Sorry you missed the CASology deadline for this card — I had similar experience: I created a card for the Less is More challenge blog and thought I had a couple of hours left, but I apparently took too long editing and proofreading my blog post that I missed the deadline! 🙂 Thanks so much for mentioning my Thankful card as your inspiration for your card — that particular card was inspired by one of your cards! Hope you’re having a wonderful week!

~Shery