Watercolour florals and an exciting Sunday

I received a delightful surprise when I opened my email yesterday and saw that I had been chosen as the “Featured Stamper” on Splitcoast Stampers. I had a quick browse through the CASEs of my cards which stampers had already put in the gallery, but had to head out for most of the day. Straight after church our family drove down town to enjoy the 30th Anniversary Concert of the Ottawa Youth Orchestra, which my daughter plays in. After the concert I was able to catch up on all the other cards which had been added to the gallery during the day. I found it intriguing which cards people chose to CASE. My gallery has over 300 cards in it and some stampers found inspiration from very early creations I had almost forgotten I’d made. There were a few favourites too which popped up several times.

Thank you to those of you who participated by CASing cards from my gallery; I felt very honoured and touched by the lovely comments.

I will not leave you without a card. This is one I made for my daughter’s violin teacher who lost a dear friend and fellow musician to a brain tumour recently. The inspiration for the card came from a beautiful (and more complex) card by Julia Stainton.

I definitely wanted the watercolour effect so I used Fabriano hot pressed watercolour paper and wet it completely with a sponge before stamping the flowers and leaves from the transparent set, Flowers Sweet. Some flowers were stamped more than once in gradually darker colours, sometimes dampening the paper in between impressions so the ink would continue to blend. I used the Memento dye inks from Tsukineko which bleed and blend beautifully on damp watercolour paper.  I finished if off with the music background, sentiment from Gratitude and some sponging around the edges before splitting the panel, matting it in Penny Black’s Mix & Match Grand Canyon paper and attaching to an ivory card base.

8 Comments on “Watercolour florals and an exciting Sunday”

1. Bev J. says:

I looked through your gallery yesterday but didn’t have time to case a card-lots of beauties to pick from-hope to choose a card later. Congrats on the honor~

2. Jan Castle says:

Thanks for sharing your lovely card and how you made it…Congratulations on being the ‘Featured Stamper’ on SCS!!!
    I really enjoy your style of creating….
    Jan

3. Jean Cross says:

So sorry I missed your special day on SCS. I just don’t follow that forum. I may do something today though. Congratulations. I didn’t even know you were on splitcoast.
    Jean Cross

I think I better play, since I’ve already started CASEing your cards and ideas! 🙂 Today’s card is beautiful, using the damp watercolour paper worked perfectly for this effect.

5. Laura Jane says:

Congratulations Heather! As a newbie,I had NO idea that CASING a card was what I have been doing after seeing your work…YOU have TRUELY inspired me! THANK YOU.

6. Vicky says:

How lovely to be featured stamper at SCS Heather! Congratulations!
    I’m intrigued by your card today – I always spray my stamps after inking before stamping to get a watercolour look; your method of wetting the paper first is a new one on me. I love the beautiful colours you’ve used here.

7. What a fantastic effect on your card! I wonder if Distress Inks might do something similar? Will have to have a play. Brilliant card 🙂

8. Beautiful watery flow of color!