A new brayer makes all the difference

I am sure many of you have visited the new CAS challenge blog Less is More. With so many card makers participating it is a great source of inspiration.  One of the cards which caught my eye was this lovely card by Sylvia who lives in Gibralter.  I must admit that I was also taken by the fact that the ocean is in the background of the photo as she snaps her cards on the edge of her balcony.  How lovely that must be.

Sylvia’s card is so rich in colour and balanced in layout that I really did not change much at all when I made mine.  I cut an oval out of a post it note then brayered with summer sun followed by  pumpkin pie.  I bought a new brayer last weekend as I have long suspected that I did not have the best one for spreading ink on cardstock.  The new one is a soft rubber brayer whereas the old one was hard.  The difference is quite dramatic.  The new one spreads colour more quickly and evenly.  I removed the mask and added the tree and sentiment.

Thanks Sylvia for the inspiration.

Stamps: Thoughts and Prayers, Best is yet
Inks: Summer Sun, Pumpkin Pie, Chocolate Chip
Cardstock: Flourishes Classic White

8 Comments on “A new brayer makes all the difference”

1. It’s just as gorgeous as all your other work, but I am happy your like the new tool. I popped over to Slvia’s — while her card was fabulous — that BACKGROUND was to die for!! 🙂 I so miss water in Arizona~~

2. Karen says:

Thank you for giving me hope. I bought the hard brayer months ago psyched about CASEing some of these sunset scenes. Its been nothing but a waste of money and paper. Well, the hard brayer is good for pressing glitter and flock into adhesive (with a scrap piece of paper in between) but certainly not for inking. I love your card and am relieved that (at least this time) it wasn’t me, it was the tool 🙂

3. Elizabeth says:

Hello Heather, this is a lovely card. I have heard that there is quite a difference between different makes of brayer and that some are quite hard. Anyway, you’ve done a lovely job with your new brayer – love the colours you’ve used – none of which I have so they will have to go on the ‘I need’ list 🙂 Elizabeth x

4. sue says:

This is stunning, Heather! You are such an inspiration. I never could sponge well, and it made me so frustrated, until you made your tutorial. Now I can sponge! I never could brayer, either, but I never suspected it might be the brayer’s fault and not mine. I’ll be getting a better, softer brayer, and see if I can come up with something as lovely as you have. Thanks so much for sharing!

5. Donna H says:

This is so pretty. Maybe that’s what is wrong with my brayering. I always get that line.

6. Mary says:

what brand of brayer did you buy? Mine is rubber, and it seems like rather hard rubber, but I don’t know I have ever seen a “soft rubber” brayer in the store. I have never had any luck with using my brayer, so am willing to purchase a different one, but I want to get the right kind.

You mean if I buy a THIRD brayer, I might learn how to brayer properly? 😛 Beautiful card… and not wintry!

8. Love the simplicity of this card.
    Hugs, Sandra