Red poppies

Considering the large dump of snow we received today, poppies are certainly not a seasonal thing to be stamping but I pulled them out and made a couple of cards anyway.  I decided to use a watercolour technique to colour inside as I love the look of watercoloured poppies and hope to paint a larger watercolour of red poppies one day that is good enough to frame.  For now I will settle for a card sized image.  I stamped with versamark and embossed with black and then used my aqua painter to pick up colour from the stamp pad lid and colour in the poppies.  The aqua painter is such a cool tool.  When I think of all the blender pens I went through before I bought an aqua painter…if only I had tried one earlier.  The only issue I have is that the brush tip ends are comparatively large so if I want a very small amount of water I will reach for a fine paintbrush.  I also added some colours with marker and blended it in with the aqua painter.

My initial image was bigger with whole poppies in it but I preferred the cropped look .  I considered just popping up the poppy panel with no mattes but after trying red and black decided that it actually looked best with both mattes.

I hope you are surviving the winter storms if you are in my part of the world.  It has been a strange day for us as we have watched our own weather as well as checking updates about the cyclone hitting Queensland today.  My husband grew up in that area, so we listened and watched with interest as people talked about their preparations and fears about what was coming.  Now the pictures are appearing of the damage done which is just as extensive as people thought it would be.

Stamps:  Poppy Patch & Tag lines (Flourishes)
Inks:   Real Red, Garden Green, Basic Black
Cardstock:   Basic Black, Real Red, Flourishes Classic White Cardstock
Also: black e.p.

7 Comments on “Red poppies”

1. sue says:

Heather, this is reeeeeally beautiful! I love watercolors too, and you’ve done a lovely job with this one. The 2-colored double matting really sets the whole thing off. This is a stunning creation!

So pretty… a perfect antidote to our stormy Ontario day. Beautiful watercolouring!

3. nancy littrell says:

Heather, your cropped poppies are gorgeous! They must have brightened your day. I know they did mine. Stay safe from your storms. TFS

4. Valerie says:

Love the poppies Heather which has reminded me that I have a poppy stamp that I must look out! You will brighten someone’s day with this card.

5. Paulette S in MO says:

Your Poppies are lovely. I never could get the hang of the blender pen. I love the aqua painter, I bought cheap ones, that come in the set of 3 at Michael’s, and they suck color up into the barrel. So, I don’t even use water in the barrel anymore. I prefer the one with the smallest brush nib and I keep a cup of water next to me to get water from and to rinse my brush. And I have my SU reinkers in an artist’s palette, they revive when I add a drop or 2 of water to them just like water colors. I love the soft effect they give. I’m like you, I’d like to try water color on a large scale, but I will settle for mini, for now. =D And they make people who receive them very happy.

6. Beate says:

I love how you stamped and colored those poppies! Beautiful card.
    Hugs and smiles

7. Sheila (Cyprus) says:

This is fab. I love poppies, so this card really hit the mark with me. You have so many inspirational ideas, I hope you dont mind if I ‘tweek’ some of them.
    I am newish to stamping so in need of ideas. Love Sheila (Cyprus)