Family & Friends

This week it’s all about Family and Friends on the Penny Black Blog and Facebook. Visit both for a chance to win stamps and get inspired. The design team have family and friendship themed projects prepared for the week. I’m sharing a card today with a message I’ll be happy to send to one of my family or friends.
Dotted Fusion Die Cut card Heather Telford
There are two main processes in making this card. First I created my own patterned water colour paper. Secondly I die cut a bunch of images and arranged them into a design for the card.

I swiped three different colours of distress stain across a piece of watercolour paper, spritzed and tilted it to let the colours blend then let it dry. Once dry I painted water onto the Dotted Fusion background stamp and pressed it onto the watercolour paper. Nothing shows up immediately but as it dries you can see a watery print of the stamp.
Dotted Fusion background water stamped Heather Telford
After the ‘water print’ dried I stamped Dotted Fusion again, this time in blue and green stain. Once the watercolour paper was totally dry I die cut flowers, leaves and swirls from the panel and arranged them on a pale purple background. You can just make out a pale print of the Dotted Fusion on the background also. (I made two water colour panels using the same technique but the stains were spread differently)
Dotted Fusion background Heather Telford

I also added some half pearls coloured to match with Spectrum Noir markers.

Dotted Fusion Die Cut detail Heather Telford

As you can imagine there are countless possibilities with this technique. Let me know if you try it I’d love to see what you come up with.

Stamps: Dotted Fusion, Amazing (PB)
Dies: Tweet Things, Dots & Swirls, Pinwheel (PB)
Inks:   Faded Jeans, Peeled Paint, Pine Needles, Broken China Distress Stains (Ranger) Memento Paris Dusk (Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Neenah Classic Crest Solar White 110lb smooth, Periwinkle Mix & Match Paper ( PB), Fabriano 100% cotton Hot Pressed Watercolour paper
Also:  Half pearls

9 Comments on “Family & Friends”

1. Janet Castle says:

Very pretty Heather! Thanks for sharing how you made it!
    Jan

2. Mary H. says:

Magnificent. What a beautiful use of these stains & stamps to make such a lovely floral card. TFS & Hugs

3. Gorgeous card, love the colours

4. Dixie Carson says:

I was afraid of trying water color technique unti I saw this card. Thanks for the steps with pictures. As you say the ideas are endless. I do not have appropriate all over stamps, but I do have embossing folders that should work. I am excited to try it! Thankyou for all your beautiful cards and inspiration. Dixie

• Heather says:

Hi Dixie,
      Thank you for taking the time to comment. I am always so pleased when someone is inspired to try something after seeing the projects I post. I hope it goes well.

5. Caryn says:

Heather, this is a handsome card and very inventive. I did something similar with drips of clear embossing powder and water color simply because I live 50 miles from the nearest scrapbook store and needed patterned paper for my Christmas cards.

I began following your posts last autumn because I was drawn to your masked hill/tree/snow themes, but I was curious to see what the other seasons offered. I have not been disappointed. Your creations make a person want to break out the art supplies and begin experimenting.

• Heather says:

Hi Caryn,
      Thank you for your encouragement; it is great to hear from you. And to read that my creations make you want to pull out the art supplies pleases me more than you can imagine. The card above was very much the result of experimentation and not what I set out to create at all. I was happy with the finished project and made another card using the same technique soon after.

This is beautiful, Heather — a different finished look, but true to your watercolouring talents. Very pretty!

7. Lynette says:

Such a beautiful card! Love this technique. It’s all great, but I’m especially in awe of your idea to stamp with water after using the distress stains – very cool!