OLW12 Watercolor challenge

I have been wanting to participate in Susan’s One Layer Wednesday challenge ever since she began them so I was very pleased to have a chance this week especially as the  theme is watercolor.  I love the effects of watercolor so I had fun playing around with a few ideas.  The technique I ended up using was wet on wet.  I sprayed the watercolor paper lightly, inked up the stamps with markers in the card above and just on a stamp pad in the card below, then lightly spritzed the stamps before stamping them on the damp paper.  The paper in the card above was wetter than the paper below so the ink bled a lot more.  In the card below I dried the paper before stamping the second butterfly stamp over the top of the colored images so I the black ink didn’t bleed at all.  On the card above I stamped a second and third time without re-inking and achieved the paler, more watery images.

Stamps: Inspired by Nature,  Upsy Daisy, Watercolor Minis, Hugs and Wishes
Inks: Bravo Burgandy, Ballet Blue, Always Artichoke, Not quite Navy, Certainly Celery, Cameo Coral, Basic Black
Cardstock: Demco Watercolor paper

10 Comments on “OLW12 Watercolor challenge”

1. lililindsay says:

Both cards are absolutely stunning. Thank you for the describing how they were achieved. I am certainly going to give your techniques a go.

2. Theresa Pollack says:

Love your first card the best with the restamping images. Gives so much depth

3. Bahb says:

My fave is the top one, just because the watery look always attracts me…..sorta makes my confused mind feel at home, maybe. 🙂

Now I’m going to see what you do with Gesso. I have some but have never used it. Thanks for the inspiration.

Bahb

4. shannon says:

love the top one…have that stamp…hmmmmmm…. 🙂

5. Dallas says:

Beautiful cards and the top one is my favourite as I love the *wet on wet* watercolour look :o)

6. Kez says:

Lovely cards Heather; the effects are terrific and I especially love the first one. TFS

7. Heather says:

Love that top card, it is amazing! And I love the stamps (the design that is). The sentiment really draws it together. Wow!

Might try and have a go with your technique later (once I’ve recovered from my initial shock of using watercolours again!)

8. I am always so inspired when I visit your blog! These cards are absolutely breathtaking, Heather.

9. Sharon D. says:

Very pretty cards! Great colour choices!

10. Heather, these are both beautiful! The wet-on-wet gives such an artistic effect on the first card and the layout on the butterfly card is especially lovely.