Double Embossed

At the risk of losing you I have to begin this post by directing you to the beautiful inspiration for this card. Just pop over to the wonderful blog of Anna-Karin Evalddson to see her double embossing. There is so much texture in her card. When I first saw it I was sure it was heat embossed and then dry embossed because the surface looked so 3D. Anna-Karin did a video of her process, which I watched then immediately went and made the card above. I often see cards which inspire me and I save or tag or pin them for another time; rarely do I immediately act on the inspiration.

I didn’t achieve the 3D effect that Anna-Karin did but I like the play of double embossing and the unusual combination of colours and embossing powders. I worked on hot pressed watercolour paper, embossing the ‘dotted fusion’ stamp from PB first in a mix of ‘sandcastle’ & ‘potting soil’. (supplies linked below). I moved the panel a little to one side then embossed again in a cream embossing powder.

To colour the panel I pulled out my distress stains, not the sprays, (but they would work) the daubers. I hardly ever reach for them now as they are no longer available so I don’t want to taunt you with something you can’t have. I still really like the daubers for applying a strong liquid ink in a confined space. In this case I dabbed them on the glass mat, spritzed some water and swiped the embossed panel through the colours (aged mahogany, peeled paint and old paper). Anna-Karin just used distress inkpads and her results were amazing.

To keep with the circle/dotty theme I stamped a word from PB ‘huggable’ set on a circle, matted on a circle and put the card together. Oh and there is splatter too, no surprises there.

that’s a booster colour scheme btw, if you do my online class you will hear about that! 😉

Supplies

8 Comments on “Double Embossed”

1. Bonnie says:

Wonderful colors and dimension! Another technique to try.

2. Patricia Rowe says:

This is amazing. I like your colors better.
    These embossing powder colors are new to me.incredible what new colors keep popping up.
    I can’t wait to experiment with this technique also. You are certainly keeping us busy.
    Thanks a bunch.
    Tish

3. Leslie says:

This is gorgeous! LOVE the dimension!

4. Shaz says:

Love your work, Heather, though don’t comment often as always on mobile. Thanks I think your take on this technique is brilliant.
    Thanks for sharing, and may God bless and keep you and all whom you love safe and well.
    Prayer hugs, Shaz in Oz. X

{Wonderful Words of Life – Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards – Shaz in Oz}

5. Janet Schlagel says:

What are you replacing the distress duabers with? I have noticed how often you use them and now they are no longer available

• Heather says:

For this card I did use daubers because I miss using them but generally now I smoosh the original distress inks on a glass mat, add a little water and pick up ink as if from a palette.

• Janet Schlagel says:

It seems that on some of the earlier cards you applied the distress ink directly on rubber stamps and then stamped the cards. Do you paint the ink by brush on to the rubber stamp? Also -although not related to this card-what are your recommendations of how to purchase distress markers? As a group or individually? It seems that there may be some colors that wouldn’t be used if you buy a group but I don’t know what colors to buy individually.

Janet

• Heather says:

Yes I did apply distress stain directly to stamps for many projects; it was a favourite technique of mine. Now the daubers are no more I apply ink directly to the stamp with an inkpad or marker then, if I want the wetter blends I spritz the stamp before stamping which gives a similar effect to what the daubers did. I buy my distress products individually as I work out which colours I want. I would say buy a couple of each colour is one way to approach it, two different greens, two different blues, browns, etc. You probably don’t need all 8 greens to start with!