Snowflake garland

At the risk of boring you silly I will mention once again that I have a booth in an art market in four days! One of the items I wanted to make for the market was garlands. I thought the new ‘snowflake tag’ dies from Penny Black would be lovely with some sparkly beads and they are but it took me a lot longer than anticipated to put it all together. I almost left it at one but decided a pair might be nice; the second one was much quicker as I had thought it all through.

I used white cord with a silver thread through it, clear facet cut beads, a mix of shimmer silver and white cardstock and a spiderwebby silver fabric (from France).

I ended up with six snowflakes on each garland with clear beads grouped on the twine in between the snowflakes. Each snowflake is actually double sided so the twine is glued in between the two and for some I glued a contrasting snowflakes on each side.

The spiderwebby fabric is apparently interfacing for dress making but its silver colour makes it perfect for adding a little shimmer and shine to paper craft projects.

Despite being photographed in a tree the snowflake garland is a delicate thing and should not be used outdoors!

Supplies

11 Comments on “Snowflake garland”

1. Tish rowe says:

I love the ideas for Christmas gifts.
    Will you show some of your items for booth?
    Can we purchase something?

Since I moved out of Florida, I have not been to any craft fairs and I miss that creative shopping.
    Tish

2. Hilary Wright says:

These are just gorgeous, what a lovely idea. I am intrigued to know how you anchored the beads to hold them in place on the cord xx

• Heather says:

I’m glad you asked; I meant to include that information in the post. I tried three different glues before I settled on diamond glaze, a spot of glue on the cord right up against the bead. It dries clear and hard where the other glues I tried dried soft and pliable.

3. Lagene says:

I love your garland! I make Christmas ornaments every year and will probably use your idea with a pretty toulle fabric that I have that has a silver swirly design in it!

4. Sylvia D. says:

Heather, A garland is a perfect idea! Love the shimmery fabric and the beads are great. Are they glue to stay in place? Thanks for sharing. Sylvia D.

What a great idea and so pretty Heather and I love the pretty beads in between. I hope your booth at the market is a great success. x

6. Karen Jackson says:

Heather, although these beautiful garlands may have taken longer than you imagined to put together, they are so beautiful and so worthwhile. The French fabric is so pretty. I bet they are the first items to sell at your booth at the weekend.I am sure they will inspire others to see beyond the obvious use of the dies for cardmaking.

7. jillianfoster82 says:

So beautiful, delicate, and amazingly designed and photographed!