I tried for a while, recently, to make five butterflies work on a card and finally gave up and settled on three. With the help of the sketch from CAS(e) this Sketch #37 I managed to create a five butterfly card.
I have seen some wonderful cards lately where a die cut image reveals all the colour and pattern happening underneath so I decided to give it a try.
I cut my butterflies first using the butterfly die from the Tagged set , then masked an area inside the card to line up with what would be revealed through the butterflies. The collage pattern I created in the masked area is a combination of the damask pattern background and the music background along with sponging in warm yellow and orange tones. A dots mask die cut from a post-it note was sitting on the desk so I sponged a few dots through that too although I admit they weren’t entirely necessary!
The sentiment just seemed like the right one to choose with those butterflies weaving through the air like that.
Where will I write the greeting on this card I wonder?
Today I am showing off this cool new stamp from Penny Black. I don’t often make cards with cars on them but the detail on this stamp and the flourish on the side of the hot rod won me over. As you can see I didn’t get too adventurous with the layout or even the ink colour. The image below is embossed on four colours of Penny Black mix & match cardstock and the one above is simply Versafine Onyx Black on white cardstock. To add a little colour to the one above I masked a panel and sponged three shades of blue and added a bit of the flourish from the damask pattern background stamp.
Stamps: Damask Pattern, Hot Rod (PB)
Inks: Memento Summer Sky, Bahama Blue, Danube Blue & Versafine Onyx Black (Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Penny Black Mix & Match Papers Olive Grove & Grand Canyon
Also: Black embossing powder
This Damask stamp from Penny Black is such a beautifully detailed stamp I like to show it off rather than relegate it to background status. When I started making this card I embossed a couple of panels, one in clear and one in black then played around with both. The white image left by the clear embossing powder definitely created the look I was after; I will have to fiddle with the black a little more before I’m happy with it.
As I said I started by embossing in clear then sponged Memento Pistachio from one corner toward the centre and Love letter from the opposite corner. I darkened the green portion further with Olive grove and added a little definition with a Bamboo Leaves marker. I then sliced the side off my panel so that it would be predominantly green rather than half and half, matted it in green and added a ribbon. I didn’t have the correct green so I used a paler green and coloured it with a marker.
When that card was finished I didn’t want the little strip I cut off to go to waste so I set out to make a very minimal design with just the thin panel and a sentiment. But then I remembered the “Love” stamp which has elaborate fonts that remind me of damask and a second design was created.
The complementary colour scheme is inspired by the Less is More Challenge this week.
Stamps: Damask Pattern, Love Chapter, Happy Birthday (PB)
Inks: Memento Pistachio, Olive Grove, Love Letter & Versamark (Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Penny Black Mix & Match Papers Olive Grove
Also: Clear embossing powder, ribbon
A few weeks back I used the damask background stamp to make a cup. I really hadn’t used the stamp much before that. After making the cup I noticed how elegant the detail in the stamp is and decided it was time to pull it out again. I also have some beautiful new ink colours from Tsukineko which I needed to play with.
I inked diagonally across the damask stamp with Versamagic Night Sky ink and stamped it on the panel. I then inked the music background, diagonally also, in order to fill the other half of the panel. It was only after I had stamped the music that I saw that I hadn’t worked out the whole upside-down and opposite side thing properly! I’m kind of glad I got it wrong though because I ended up liking the two backgrounds overlapping and it left me with a white space to stamp some flowers.
The flowers are stamped with versamark and embossed in black so they would resist the sponging and ink droplets added next. I sliced up the panel and matted in black and then looked for the right colour cardbase. White was too stark; black worked better but needed a little something on it. My intention was to emboss the damask background but once I had stamped it in Versafine Onyx black it showed up fine (possibly not in the photo). The wide grosgrain ribbon is pleated and stapled behind the popped up panel.