Winter Watercolour Tutorial

Winter Watercolour Heather Telford

Here is the first of my watercolour tutorials. I have used only one image stamp and one basic technique. There are several different techniques I use when creating watercolour scenes and cards because  different stamps lend themselves to different approaches. I plan to cover more techniques in future tutorials.

I stress in the video that watercolouring is never the same twice and you cannot predict how the colours will blend and bleed in each scene. It is worth playing around with for a while to work out the amount of water to add to the paper, how long to let it dry between stamping images and how much colour to add and blend when creating backgrounds.

Here is a list of other cards made using the technique shown in this tutorial. NoelWatercolour Night SkyWatercolour SnowstormPoppies in a FieldWatercolour Sympathy.

Thanks for dropping in.

Stamps:  Before the SnowFlourish Thank you (PB)
Inks: Memento Cottage Ivy, Danube Blue & Versafine Majestic Blue  (Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper
Also: Winsor & Newton Masking Fluid

About these ads

35 Comments on “Winter Watercolour Tutorial”

1. Janet says:

Fantastic video! Very informative and the finished card is gorgeous. Thanks!

2. jillianfoster82 says:

Oh heather! What an awesome video!!  I am so inspired. Thank you for the time in putting it together. I have added it to my PB FB list. Oh, and I got a peek at your CHA cards….Amazing!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

3. Beverly Railey Robinson says:

You rock, Heather. I use your techniques all the time, and I’m even doing better. I’m watercoloring on top of stamps. Love masking, sponging, using the masking fluid. Thanks again.

4. Judy says:

I love your beautiful work and so appreciate this detailed tutorial!!

5. Pat S says:

beautiful tutorial. Thanks for sharing. Ordered my stamps and waiting to try my hand at this technique.

6. Thank you so much Heather to sharing with us! It is absolutely gorgeous and amazing. Je suis complètement en amour avec cette technique. Vous êtes une incroyable artiste! Merci beaucoup! Thank you so much!!!

7. Tamara K. says:

Oh Heather…this is such a beautiful card! I can’t wait to try it! Thank you so much for the tutorial and for sharing all your beautiful creations.

8. Godelieve says:

Fabulous card Heather. Thanks for sharing how you made it.

9. Elaine G says:

Thank you for this video. It is so informative. I have watercolours I need to learn how to use more effectively and I feel quite confident to have a go now I have watched your technique. Thank you for the inspiration! Elaine

10. Pitchoune57 says:

beautiful tutorial, thank you so much for this video,
    bye from France,
    Pitchoune

11. Marianne says:

Gorgeous card Heather, and thanks for the tutorial. Very enlightening!

12. Patti C from COS says:

Love, love, love your work! Thank you for such a clear and concise tutorial!

13. Wendy says:

Thanks so much for sharing your stamping and water colouring technique. I love your cards and it’s great to see how you create them using simple tools but with such an effective result.

Kent, UK

14. Beverly Railey Robinson says:

I may have missed it, but what size is your paper? Thank you.

• Heather says:

Hi Beverley,
      The picture panel is just under 4′ x 5 1/8″.

• Beverly Railey Robinson says:

That is very helpful. Thank you. You are a great teacher. I just answered a Penny Black survey, and I told them that every time I see one of your cards, I go shopping for a PB stamp. :)

15. Penny says:

Stunning card and great video! Love all your work Heather.

16. Chris R. says:

Thank you so much for the fabulous tutorial!! Beautiful card!

17. Maureen Hayes says:

Beautiful card and wonderful tutorial! Thank you for making it and sharing.

18. Karen Petitt says:

Thank you so much for sharing how you do this Heather. I want to now try it out – just need to get some masking fluid – a fabulous tutorial, Happy New Year x

19. jmhave44 says:

Thank you so very much for taking time to film this highly instructive tutorial. This watercolor becomes magic in your hands. So very beautiful.

How nice to watch someone who really knows what they’re doing, not my hope-this-works attempts. And of course a beautiful card.

21. Pai says:

gorgeous! you make it look so easy. Thanks for the tutorial! can’t wait to see more!

22. Vee says:

Thanks for this super tut! Loooove your card, and am going to give this a try!
    Hugs

23. Francie in Montreal says:

Wonderful video and magnificent card! Thank you so much for sharing your information and talent with us. Greatly appreciated.

24. Gabby says:

Gorgeous card! Love the layers of color, the snow and design. :) Thx so much for the tutorial. It is so helpful for me to actually “see” the process. :)

25. Debbie M. says:

I love nature scenes and you are a master at them! Thank you so much for this video tutorial – it makes it much easier to understand the techniques. I can’t wait to try this. You are awesome!

26. Charlotte says:

Love your cards and the tutorial! I need a lot more practice with the technique, but it is wgreat to see how to do it. More tutorials please!
    Thank you.
    Charlotte

27. Mira says:

Wonderful card and a great video. You make things look so easy!

28. Martye says:

I’ve admired your gorgeous cards for some time. Thank you very much for preparing a video showing how you did this one. It is much appreciated.

29. […] Christmas Park stamp from Penny Black and the techniques for creating snowbanks described in this tutorial.  Because I was layering the images I did use a post-it note a couple of times to mask the white […]

30. marcyb123123 says:

So thrilled to see your tutorials! Your cards are such a work of art, and these glimpses of how to achieve that look is so very much appreciated!

31. Your tutorial was so great – I tried this early this morning and loved the result. TFS!!!!!