Watercolour night sky

Watercolour snowy forest Heather Telford

Yes, another watercolour snowscape! This one is a great example of how the pigments in the ink separate into different colours when added to wet watercolour paper. I stamped the ‘Before the Snow’ stamp in Memento Northern Pine ink onto wet paper. The dark green ink separated into mustard and blue leaving the background trees mustard and adding another blue tone to the sky. The snow at the base stayed white as I did not wet that part of the panel before stamping and adding ink.  Once the first trees were stamped I added blue ink to the sky The foreground trees were added when the paper was almost dry.

Joy to the World , the Lord is come!
Let earth receive her King;
Let every heart prepare Him room,
And Heaven and nature sing,
And Heaven and nature sing,
And Heaven, and Heaven, and nature sing.

Stamps: Before the SnowSeason’s Wishes  (Penny Black)
Inks: Memento Summer Sky, Northern Pine,  Danube Blue & Versafine Olympia Green (Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper, Penny Black mix & match olive grove paper
Also: Winsor & Newton masking fluid

About these ads

24 Comments on “Watercolour night sky”

1. Gabby says:

Absolutely beautiful, Heather! The night sky is so pretty and the trees look sooo real! Lovely card! :)

2. Kathy B says:

Gorgeous! Love the colors and feel.

3. stampersuzz says:

Stunning. I love that you softened the background and added the layer of trees in contrast. :)

4. bmoan1 says:

Heather I just have to send you a note to say I am in love with your winter watercolor landscapes! I tried one for framing and was pleasantly surprised how it turned out. It’s on my blog if you care to look under home decor or holiday. Ramblingrosestudio.com Billie Moan

Sent from my iPad

5. Barbara Roe says:

Heather your cards are breath-taking. Could you explain what masking fluid is? Merry Christmas

6. Shirley Baker says:

so beautiful!

7. Janet says:

This is absolurely stunning! The depth and dimension are wonderful and the way the colours blend makes me happy. :-) You do amazing work! Thanks for sharing and inspiring. Hope Ottawa is fairing well through this storm; I’m in central Ontario and it is wild outside now. Merry Christmas!

8. Rhonda Wilson says:

This is possibly the most beautiful card I have ever seen.

9. Yvette says:

Wow …. this is stunning! I love your cards Heather … don’t comment on everyone but I enjoy looking and learning from all of them! Merry Christmas!

10. Kim Hill says:

You are SOOOOO talented!! I love your cards! Happy Holidays!!!

11. marcyb123123 says:

Really love all your work – but this one is just amazing! Merry Christmas! And thanks for your inspiration!

12. Linda says:

You are incredible, Heather! This looks amazing!

13. Cornelia says:

Amazing effect you achieved here – it gives it so much dimension. Have to try this one day!

This really is outstanding — a beautiful watercolour panel. The sentiment is a perfect complement.

15. kkb says:

I love your watercolor technique as well. I too do not comment on every card but I very much appreciate all the wonderful work you do. Thank you very very much for sharing your special creativity.

16. Jan Castle says:

Lovely work Heather!!!! Thank you for sharing your inspiration! Hope to give it a try myself soon!!!
    Jan

17. Beverly Railey Robinson says:

Your work is consistently beautiful. You are a great teacher, patiently explaining each step. And you are a super nice person. Hw lucky we are to benefit from your work! Thank you.

18. madeactually says:

Totally gorgeous!!!!!!! Love it and pinned it.

19. Stephanie says:

Love your work I just want to have you come over and have a stamping day of fun……

20. Heather, this is simply a stunner!

21. Stunning card, stunning verse! Let each of us prepare our hearts for our King this Christmas!

22. […] is a list of other cards made using the technique shown in this tutorial. Noel, Watercolour Night Sky, Watercolour Snowstorm, Poppies in a Field, Watercolour […]