Two snowscapes

Snowscape watercolour sky scaled

Now that it’s the weather for  jackets and boots I can think about stamping snowscapes. If you have been browsing here at Bits & Pieces for a while you will know that I enjoy creating snowy scenes with ink and stamps. I created these two scenes at one sitting; one ended up quite formal and the other more relaxed. I worked on my small watercolour block. (A watercolour block is a pad of watercolour paper which is attached on all four sides with just a small area near one corner unattached so you can tear the piece off when your painting is completed.) The block is 5″ x 7″ and for these panels I divided it in two with a piece of masking tape.

To create the scene above I stamped the tree twice in versamark, then stamped it again but lower in Versafine Olympia Green. I then embossed the trees with clear powder so they would resist when I added the watercoloured sky.  I wet the panel with water first but only in the area where I wanted the coloured sky. I then added blue and pink ink with a paint brush. The colours blended in the wet area but did not bleed into the dry part of the panel. I repeated this technique to create the two lower snow banks. ( I hear you; a video would be helpful )

Snowscape chalk sky

To create the second snowscape I used the same double stamping technique mentioned above but moved the pine silhouette stamp only very slightly lower by using a stamp positioner when I stamped in green.  I again embossed in clear powder then sponged blue over the branch which revealed the thin outline of  snow on some of the pine needles. The snow hill and banks were done by sponging over post-it note masks with Versamagic chalk inks. Although I often create snow banks this way I don’t think I have used chalk for the sky and snow shadows before. It worked well but required extra ‘polishing’ to remove any chalkiness from the embossed branch. Both panels are popped up with dimensional tape.

I’ll be back tomorrow with the One Layer Wednesday challenge

Stamps:  Pine & Star, Glad Tidings, Pine Silhouettes, Season’s Wishes (PB)
Inks: Memento Sweet Plum, Danube Blue, Olive Grove & Versafine Olympia Green & Versamark & Versamagic Aspen Blue,  Aegean Blue(Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper, Fabriano 25% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper
Also: Clear Embossing Powder

About these ads

21 Comments on “Two snowscapes”

1. ooh stunning! Such a clever technique. xx

2. Stunning as usual! LOVE that second card- the balance is perfect!! :)

3. Francie in Montreal says:

Wow! What beautiful scenes. I am in awe.

4. cecile53 says:

I admire all your work, but these 2 are realy fabulous!

5. shirley-bee says:

Wow, fabulous! And yes, you heard, a video would be helpful!

It wasn’t my voice you heard saying a video would be helpful; it was my voice saying having your talent would be helpful. ;) These are beautiful winter landscapes.

7. Gery says:

Heather.every time I visit your blog, you surprise me with the beauty of your work.
    It often looks so fragile. Great to look at!
    Your work is your signature. I recognize it anywhere and I never get bored looking at it.
    These two cards are gorgeous as ever.
    Groetjes Gery

8. Vicki B says:

You make the most beautiful scenes on your cards!!! You have a real gift!!!

9. Anita says:

These are fabulous, you’re so talented. I’ve picked up so many tips and techniques from you and hope to put them into practice next year when I plan to purchase more inks for my stash. Thank you for continually inspiring me :) x

10. LaVon says:

Must be getting cold outside….which is a good thing when it inspires you to create some beautiful winter scenes for us! These two are among your very best!

11. Beverly Railey Robinson says:

You listed two different Fabriano papers. Did you use both kinds? Lovely cards.

• Heather says:

Hi Beverly,
      I did use both Fabriano papers. The feature panels are on 100% and the card bases are made from 25% because I wanted an exact colour match for the card base and 25% is understandably cheaper.

12. nise says:

Your snow is gorgeous!! If I get a vote, I would love a video. Thanks for sharing and reminding us that it really is all about paper and ink.

13. Cindy jones says:

I’m in love with your scenes. Keep them coming!

14. Mary H says:

As ever, both of these gorgeous cards are just stunningly awesome. I would just LOVE a video…when you have time! So glad you are home again, creating beautiful cards for us to enjoy. TFS & hugs

15. Rufus says:

Gorgeous snow scenes. I’ll add my voice too, video please!
    R/

16. Gabby says:

Wonderful snow scenes, Heather! Love the depth that your coloring lends. The pine branch looks “real!” :)

17. Pam Sparks says:

Always love your beautiful stamped and inked scenes Heather! TFS!

18. yup! You’re right…a video tutorial when you have some time would be so appreciated! Thank you! You make it sound sooooo easy when all I get when I try water-colouring is a muddy mess! I love both cards, the beautiful sky and snow scene on the pine trees and the gentle, blue and white tones of the second card. I love the sentiment on the first card too, which we remember every time we hear the dawn chorus! TFS!

19. Pam Sparks says:

Heather, do you mean Versamagic Chalk inks, on your second card?