Watercoloured poppies

watercoloured poppies

I love poppy images so I was excited to see two poppy stamps in the new Penny Black catalog. One is a wood-mounted stamp and the other, shown above, is part of the transparent set, Blooming Garden. I have painted poppies several times with watercolour paints so to try watercolouring with the stamp was my first thought.

I wet the watercolour paper, then stamped the poppy flowers in red and the stems and seed pods in green. The ink immediately ran and I blended and spread it with a brush adding a little more ink here and there with markers. When I was happy with the colour I sponged blue and  green around the flowers and started playing with the layout.

It took me a while to come up with the layout you see above as I initially thought I’d mat the panel and put it on a white card base with a sentiment. I tried both portrait and landscape orientations but it wasn’t quite right. So, when in doubt reach for your absolute favourite background stamp! I inked the background with blue and green then added sponging and water droplets in the colours of the poppy panel.

The fun continues with inspiration galore on the Penny Black Blog. They are five days into the 20 consecutive days of inspiration, featuring stamps from the Take Flight catalog!  The  designers and contributors have LOTS in store for you.  And since they’re featuring 20 days of inspiration, they’re also giving away 20 NEW stamps to one lucky reader.

Stamps: Blooming GardenLetter Background (PB)
Inks: Memento Summer Sky, Cottage Ivy, Lady Bug stamp pads and markers (Tsukineko)
Cardstock: Fabriano 100% cotton hot pressed watercolour paper,  Spring Meadow Mix & Match Papers

About these ads

29 Comments on “Watercoloured poppies”

1. Gabby says:

Lovely card! I surely like the look you achieved by apparently using lots of water. The “fanning” is grand. :)

2. moonbud says:

Heather, I love poppies, and your take on them is fabulous as usual

3. Jan Castle says:

Very pretty card Heather!

4. Tamara K. says:

Oh Heather…this is absolutely beautiful! Very nice job!

5. Marja says:

Marvelous Heather, love these poppies
    lovely greet Marja

6. LaVon says:

So so beautiful!

7. Michelle w says:

Stunningly beautiful, Heather! Wow!

8. Heather,

You never cease to amaze me with your talent! This watercolor Poppy is beautiful and I love how you created the background for it as well. Just a fantastic card. I appreciate you letting us into your creative process.

9. This is so gorgeous – the background looks perfect with the wonderful poppies – love it! xx

10. I think this has to be one of my all time favourite poppy paintings! You have surpassed yourself Heather! Did you ink up your stamp from a dye ink pad or with markers? It is a stunning technique. I adore poppies, absolute favourite of mine! So this is a real treat! I’m could wax lyrical here for ages! I am going to give this a try and maybe try a collage background, (a safer start to collage!)…..TFS!

11. Francie in Montreal says:

I literally gasped when I saw your poppies. They are a masterpiece. I have tried this technique but spritzed the image after I’d stamped it on water colour paper. Seems I had the steps out of order and explains why I did not get the results I wanted. Thank you ever so much for sharing this creation and the steps you used. Much appreciated.

12. Pam Goes says:

Just beautiful. I love the poppy stamp and wish I could water color as well. I will keep practicing!

13. Doris says:

This card is breathtaking!

14. Debbie Evans says:

Just beautiful!

15. Vicki B says:

Very pretty, Heather! I only tried water coloring a couple of times but didn’t do it the way you did and mine didn’t look like this. Your have a wonderful talent!!!

16. Dianne says:

Really beautiful all your work is lovely, I love it, thanks for sharing…

17. Lynne N says:

I will definitely try this. I love poppies too, they were favorites of my mom.

18. Julie says:

My oh my,how exquisite your card is,I love the technique you’ve used to colour your poppies,it reminds me of the Cadburys flake advert from years ago where a young lady got caught in the rain whilst painting. I’m showing my age ;) inspired by you I have at last purchased some masking fluid,all I need now is some time to play. Have a wonderful weekend,x

19. frogquilter says:

Just beautiful…I love all of the talent being shared

20. hanne says:

I just love poppies and this card is wonderfull.
    Hanne

21. Heather you are the master! I so love all your cards, this one is no exception!

22. Barbara Thomassen says:

So very pretty and so delicate, I really love what you do.

23. Mary H. says:

Lovely, muted & soft card. Love the layout & your fav script stamp. I am never happy with my w/color results. This is just so beautiful. TFS & explaining how you achieved it.

Stunning! I don’t know what else to say, Heather! Gorgeous watercolour effect and perfect background.

25. Victoria Reeve says:

Beautiful! I have not done this technique in a while thanks for the reminder!

26. Diane says:

I am a big fan of your work. Will you please share with me where you get your Fabriano water colour paper from? I have not seen them in stores in Canada.