CASology # 28

cup casology28

I am the guest designer at the CASology challenge blog this week.  I felt honoured to be asked and said yes, not knowing what a challenge it would turn out to be! I keep saying that about challenges don’t I?

The cue card this week is…

Week 28 - Drink

I was already pretty sure, but a quick look through my stamps revealed a lack of  ‘drink’ related images. Once again I had to think outside the box. The thought I came up with involved a Penny Black background stamp and the emboss resist technique. The background I chose is called Damask Pattern and reminded me of china cups. I stamped it in versamark and embossed in clear powder before sponging over the top with blue ink. As I was sketching a cup shape I noticed that the stamp already included the perfect handle shape in the design, so I cut that out determined to make it work as the handle of my cup.  After much fiddling around with layout I settled on  the design below which involved slicing off the side of the cup and popping it up over the sponged strip. I made this card narrower than usual so will enter it in the CAS-ual Fridays Long and Short challenge too. The size is 3½” x 5½”.

So check out the cards at CASology and get thinking, outside the box if necessary.

Supplies

Stamps: Wishes, Damask Pattern  (PB)
Ink: Memento Danube Blue & Versamark (Tsukineko)
Also: Clear embossing powder

About these ads

23 Comments on “CASology # 28”

1. Ardyth says:

Love the damask cup and the fancy handle!

2. Mary H. says:

Oh my, this is so lovely, then when I read the ‘how-to’s’ – even more so. I don’t enter challenges a lot of times, because I don’t have a stamp that will fit. If I had your sketching skills and ability to ‘think out of the box’, to create such a lovely design….well, I’d enter more challenges wouldn’t I? Thanks Heather, for this lovely card and super innovative idea! Only an artist (and I”ll keep telling myself that!) TFS

3. Judy says:

Stunning and creative card!

4. Heather just like a fin piece of china, beautiful!

5. Miranda says:

Lovely Heather and clever crafting! Miranda

6. Marcy Bennett says:

Amazing! Wish the picture was a bit closer to I could see how you did the cup inside shadowing. Is that on the main paper with just the cup popped up, of did you attach another layer to the cup? The handle is fabulous!

Okay, this one is extra-amazing! I love how you created your cup, right down to that perfect handle. Wow, Heather.

8. LaVon says:

I love that damask background stamp. Your cup overflows with creativity on this one.
    Love it, Heather

9. Jen W. says:

Genius and gorgeous! Love how you created the handle!

10. Meghan says:

This is a stunning card. I love the direction you took with the cue card!

11. No. Way. I can’t believe you MADE a tea cup out of a flourish background stamp! That is so darn clever I can’t stand it. You’re right, that one flourish is perfect for the handle. Love!

12. Jenny M says:

How creative and the handle is just perfection, the whole piece could be straight from an antique shop!! Brilliant card :0)
    Jenny x

13. Paulette S says:

You are Amazing! Who doesn’t love a fabulous blue cup? Blue is my favorite color, next to green, pink and orange. LOL

14. I can’t believe you made this cup yourself, its fabulous! xx

15. Anne says:

Lovely card and superbly designed and executed, beautiful! Thank you for that prompt of thinking outside of the box. We all have some artistic ability, even if drawing is limited to matchstick men! Isn’t it easier to try and reach for a stamp and get upset if we don’t have the right one? Doodling and artistic licence needs to make a come back! Looking for images in patterns….love the idea! TFS

16. Robin K. says:

Wow! That’s some amazing out-of-the-box creativity!!

17. Oh my … stunningly clever and creative … and beautiful! Anita :)

18. Heather – LOVE the way you made that cup and used the Damask pattern in the stamp to create the handle! Thank you so much for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

19. Judy1223 says:

Heather, this is just amazing! I am amazed at how you think “outside the box” and made your own tea cup! Perfection! Thanks for guest designing this week at CASology!

20. csthelen says:

Marvelous card–and to think, it was improv! TFS, Carol

21. Jean says:

Great thinking outside of the box ~ I would have never guessed that this wasn’t a cup to begin with!

22. You have such a lovely style! I just spent almost 10 minutes scrolling through many of your posts. Your creations have such a peaceful feeling to them.