My unusual creative process

Watercolour dragonfly closeup

I visited my Handmade Cards board on Pinterest this afternoon for inspiration. However, the inspiration pic. and my finished card bear absolutely no resemblance to each other. I had a totally different design almost ready to put together when I decided to try and watercolour a background stamp, just in case I wanted a bit more going on in the card. (Unusual for me, I know) As it turned out I liked the background panel so much it became the main event, I tossed the other panel and kept only the little dragonflies from my original design.

Watercolour dragonflies

So, without mentioning the discarded process, here is how I made this card:

1. dampened a piece of watercolour paper, inked the dragonfly stamp in blues and green and stamped it on the damp paper.
  2. when the dragonflies were dry I cut them out, added a little sponging and used a marker to darken their spines.
  3. stamped the dragon flies with a versamark pad to totally cover them then embossed with a thick glossy embossing powder, twice.
  4. to make the background panel, I wet a piece of watercolour paper (much wetter than for the dragonflies).
  5. I inked the background stamp randomly in the two blues and the green ink and stamped it onto the wet paper.
  6. when all was dry I trimmed the background panel, sponged the edges and embossed the sentiment.
  7. attached the background to the card base and the dragonflies with glue dots.

Not what I set out to create, and if I told you I my initial intention was to make a friendship themed card for the Less is More challenge you would just laugh wouldn’t you?

Supplies

Stamps: Special Time, Wall Paper Print, Social Butterfly (PB)
Ink: Memento Teal Zeal, Paris Dusk, Cottage Ivy and Versamark (Tsukineko)
Also: Thick Glaze embossing powder

About these ads

18 Comments on “My unusual creative process”

1. maureenchandler says:

This is a beautiful card – love every bit of it! Thanks so much for sharing all your steps – really pretty and creative!

2. Love every single card you have ever made and cased a few of them! This one is no exception and what a wonderful unique technique you used. Thanks so much for all details for creating this beauty.

3. LaVon says:

Whatever the beginning of the process may have been, the end result is absolutely gorgeous1

4. Amy V. says:

This is stunning! I love the end result, and especially appreciate you sharing your steps. I never thought to stamp on wet watercolor paper, and now I can’t wait to try it!

5. Jenny Cain says:

Sounds just like what happens to me all the time, Heather. Usually they’re the ones i like most!
    Keep inspiring us,
    Jenny,Brisbane Australia

6. KatieP says:

So gorgeous, Thanks for sharing your process.

7. Miranda says:

Beautiful Heather and thanks for sharing this proces! This is what I like to do the most!
    warm greet, Miranda

8. moonbud says:

What a fabulous card, Heather! And those colours are my favourite – you can never go wrong using that mix of blues and greens, can you? I love using smooth water colour papers for stamping – you can get a pretty good imitation of a water colour painting – sometimes, anyway:-)

9. kate blair says:

I love this card especailly the subtle colours which blend so well together. You are obviously a talented person

10. Stunning! I love where you ended up xx

11. Marja says:

Brilliant your blue card with this beautiful butterfly.
    lovely greet
    Marja

12. suemcrae says:

Love how this turned out, especially the dreamy feel of the background.

13. cathy says:

Wow Heather this is stunning! I love the colours and the effect you’ve created. Thank you for sharing the steps you followed, I have the Social butterfly set and am now really inspired to use the dragonfly.

So I of course had to hop over to your Pinterest board, and I even think I picked out your original inspiration — but what a wow factor the background adds! Those dragonflies are absolutely gorgeous, too. They look so delicate, even though they’re on watercolour paper and heat-embossed.

15. Vicky says:

It’s funny how we sometimes take a turn off the main road and lose ourselves in the country lanes of creativity Heather! You definitely hit a beauty spot this time with this fabulous card – I love the colours and those wonderfully real-looking dragonflies!

16. Paulette S says:

I love how the inks are swirling on the card, it even reminds me of frosted glass. What a beautiful technique. True genius comes from making mistakes and trying again.

17. Gabby says:

Pretty card! LOVE the dragonflies and the background is lovely. Crafting is like going to the food store … you go in for three items and walk out with three full bags! Heehee! You just never know where the journey will take you. :)