Butterfly Symphony

Heart sing water droplets

The design team at Penny Black are playing with Valentine Stamps this week; to show the versatility of the stamps we are each making a couple of cards using the same stamp. One card is celebrating love and the other is for another occasion. I created the pink toned card above by sponging a panel in pink and plum tones. The lower butterfly image is stamped with water rather than ink and the upper one a mix of ink and water. To finish I flicked water and ink droplets over the panel and the card base.

Vellum butterfly

My second card is a birthday card for my daughters’ violin teacher made using layers of vellum. Because of the vellum it was very hard to photograph, hence the three perspectives to try and give you the idea. There are four layers and a card base making up this card which is rather unusual for me! The first layer is ivory cardstock stamped with the music background in black. The next three layers are all vellum each stamped with the butterfly from Butterfly Symphony, once in sepia, then black and finally gold.

Vellum butterfly

Vellum butterfly

Supplies

Stamps: Butterfly SymphonyMusic Background Sweet Wishes (PB)
Ink: Memento Angel Pink, Sweet Plum, Elderberry, Versafine Onyx Black and Sepia, Encore Metallic Gold (Tsukineko)
Card stock: Vellum and Mix & Match cardstock Rose Garden

About these ads

21 Comments on “Butterfly Symphony”

1. Jan Castle says:

GORGEOUS cards Heather…your work is soooooo inspiring! Thank you for sharing!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan

2. shirley-bee says:

Love the result of the water-stamping on the first card, Heather. And the second card is so “floaty” with all those layers of vellum.

3. pelliott60 says:

Great idea using the layered vellum. It’s very striking.

4. fabiola says:

oh wouah! Heather, j’adore tes créations, tu es une merveilleuse source d’inspiration, biz

5. cecile53 says:

both cards are very beautyfull :)

6. Mary H. says:

WOW! Both are lovely, but the 2nd one blew me away. Fantastic idea to use the vellum that way. Really effective. The first is so soft & just plain gorgeous. TFS

7. Lynn says:

The cards are lovely..

8. Chrissie says:

Simply awesome Heather!
    What wonderful effects you have achieved with these stunning creations
    Chrissie

9. Carole says:

Mystical magical and beautiful

10. Tracy says:

Both are lovely Heather. Tracy x

11. Claudia says:

Hi Heather, I don’t know how I find your blog, but I am very happy I did, you are creating such wonderful cards. Love them, so elegant and so special!
    Hugs Claudia

12. Jean Staples says:

Heather ~
    Love, love, love this. The vellum layers is a unique and beautiful look. I must try this :)
    Thanks for your inspiration , Jean ~

13. Dinahsoar says:

I love the artful quality of your cards. I’m wondering how you manage to keep them flat and clean looking. Is it the type of paper you use?

Thank you for the reminder that I want to try water-stamping! Both cards are absolutely gorgeous, Heather. Love how you used the vellum.

15. Andrea says:

I found my way here from Caz at Caz’s Crafty Snug. I love your cards, they are so beautiful and elegant. Thanks for some great inspiration xx

These cards are really beautiful. How do you manage to not smudge the gold ink, mine never seems to dry, unless I emboss it.

17. Greta H says:

Saw these on the PB Blog–amazing work, as always!

18. Bahb says:

Just Stunning, both cards! I never would have thought to use 3 layers of Vellum…….in my head there must be a policeman who is not in yours. My policeman tells me Vellum is very expensive and to be used sparingly. Well I’m not gonna listen to him anymore!

The ribbon treatment on the music teacher’s card is so beautiful, too. So much prettier than the bulk of a bow.

Every card you make is chock full of inspiration for which I’m sooooo grateful.

bahb

19. Emma Woods says:

Phenominal card, the effect is just stunning and who would of guest it was created using three layers of Vellum, thank you for all your amazing inspiration I look forward to regularly catching up with your designs.

Em x