Monochrome collage

A few weeks back our talented OLW host Ardyth challenged us to create a card inspired by a song. That was weeks ago, I know but this is the card I made for the challenge. The sad thing is I only realised as I was attaching the tiny tags that I had created a three layer card for a one layer challenge!  Needless to say I did not participate in the challenge but saved the card to share another day.

I used my tried and true method to create the collage: a couple of background stamps, an image and a sentiment all stamped with different shades of brown. I inked only part of the two background stamps so they would blend together. I sponged first with the lightest brown, Memento Desert Sand, then added some Potter’s Clay and finally some Rich Cocoa on the edges of the panel.

I turned a “Happy Birthday” stamp into my song sentiment “Oh Happy day” by inking only a portion of the stamp with markers and handwriting the “Oh”. I have had “Oh Happy Day” on my brain for several weeks, ever since it sprang into my mind prompting me to look it up on youtube. The first version that comes up is from Sister Act 2 and is an entertaining rendition.

Stamps: Letter BackgroundDiamond PatternAspireHappy Birthday(PB)
Inks: Memento Potter’s Clay, Rich Cocoa & Desert Sand (Tsukineko)
Also: tag punch and cotton twine

About these ads

14 Comments on “Monochrome collage”

1. KatieP says:

Heather, what a beautiful card. Love your choice of colors.

2. jmhave44 says:

Beautiful card. The focal stamp is so very versatile, lending itself to so many ways to use it. I particularly like the way you did the background. Thanks again for yet another inspiration of a different use of this stamp. Lovely.

3. Ardyth says:

I don’t know, I think I would count those tags as embellishments, not layers! Thanks for playing along, even if it’s a bit late. I know you were with me in spirit! lol! I love the whimsical font and how it matches the little loops in the flowers. Wonderful almost-one-layer card!

4. Love the monochrome effect, the background is gorgeous and the main image is lovely. The little tags are such a brilliant way to add a sentiment xx

5. Pumpy says:

What an exceptional card, sounds easy until I get going looking forward to get one going. Thanks.

6. joanvanc says:

What a great card. Thanks for sharing.

7. Valerie says:

Love this card Heather, the way you’ve shaded the background gives it a 3D effect and I loved the tags:)
    Val x

8. Mary Crose says:

Such a beautiful card, Heather. The colors are so soft and yet they make the foilage stand out. Thanks for showing me. Mary

9. Vicki B says:

Very pretty! Love the background you created!

10. Janet Castle says:

Heather, your ‘usual’ never comes out looking usual, but unusual and beautiful!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan

11. Gabby says:

Wonderful collage card! I adore the diamond pattern background w/the script. The silhouette image is nice, as well. :)

12. So pretty, Heather. I love how you have offset your amazing sepia image!

That is just funny that you of all people would accidentally create a layered card for a one-layer challenge! This is an incredible card with a fantastic collage. Must watch and learn!