Holy Night

My admiration for the colouring wizards on the design team is already considerable but after spending over an hour colouring this one little scene with coloured pencils I have even more respect for the amazing cards they create all the time! I enjoyed doing this one and like the big white frame of the card base around it which seems to make that little stable seem all the more isolated but significant.  I used Faber-Castell polychromos pencils and blended the pencils as I laid the colours down lightest to darkest.

My day time schedule changed dramatically this week as a very sweet little 11 month old girl now comes each day at 8am and spends the day. It has been a while since I was surrounded with all the bits and pieces of baby life but it’s all coming back to me. My youngest who just turned 12 is being an excellent “big brother” and the baby girl thinks he is wonderful.

Stamps:  Silent Night (PB)
Inks: Versafine Onyx Black, Tsukineko)
Also: Faber Castell Polychromos Pencils

About these ads

24 Comments on “Holy Night”

1. jmhave44 says:

I’m with you on appreciation of the skill with pencils. You seem to have aced it however, with this beauty. Very impressive surrounded by all the white…like a gallery painting. TFS. Also, enjoy this little treasure you have for the day…this is a most exciting age to be around a baby. Everything is such a wonder to them. You can create when your time is your own again. I’m awed that you had time to create this masterpiece and tend a baby too!

2. simply beautiful!. thanks.

Lovely colouring! It is time-consuming, I agree, but I find it relaxing,too. Much more relaxing than looking after a not-quite one-year-old… ;)

4. LaVon says:

Another truly beautiful card.

5. diana says:

Lovely card! TFS ;-)

6. Heather – this is just stunning! I absolutely LOVE the layout — all that whit is fabulous! :)

7. Beautifully coloured Heather

8. Fabulous colouring! I really like the white too, it really accentuates the image. How nice having a little one around. xx

9. Marja says:

Very beautiful and very special card Heather.
    My lovely greet
    Marja

10. Vicky says:

I love the dimension you get by having a small, intensely coloured image in a large white background Heather and this is gorgeous. How lovely to have a baby in the house again!

11. Gabby says:

Nice stamp. Lovely card and coloring! :)

12. Maureen Chandler says:

Beautiful card – thanks so much! I, too, babysit our delightful 11-month old granddaughter two days a week – very special time!

13. Ardyth says:

Love the look of the coloured pencils – gorgeous!

14. Judy says:

Lovely card and coloring! Enjoy the baby–I don’t think one ever forgets the delights of being around an infant.

15. Pam B says:

As always, this card’s beautiful, too! Your blog is my absolute favorite! Thanks for the inspiration.

16. shirley-bee says:

Beautiful colouring, Heather. I love the balance of white space.

17. absolutely stunning Heather!
    You’re right this serene scene is not the easiest to bring to life but you have done wonders!
    Thank you for the inspiration!!

18. Greta H says:

I love this stamp & you’ve used it wonderfully!

19. Anne says:

The coloured pencils are just the right medium for this image methinks! There is a softness and subtle texture that brings out the beauty of this stamp. So nice to see a Christmas card proclaiming the birth of Jesus too! I hope you had a lovely relaxed time colouring this, you have done a superb job!

20. What a simple and beautiful card Heather! I love working with pencils! I will need to color this stamp very soon!

21. stormy says:

awesome shading n blending. i love my pencils!

22. [...] I made my first card with this stamp and took over an hour to colour it with pencils I knew I had to come up with another technique if I [...]

23. Ardyth says:

Thanks for your lovely comment on my card and for reminding me that I had already seen this one (and loved it – see comment above, lol!). I do love that look of the pencils – reminds me of children’s books by Bill Peet. But I understand that taking an hour to do one Christmas card does not make for an efficient assembly line!