OLW 106 Sponging

As you may know if you have spent any time browsing around my blog, I love to use sponges to apply ink.  That being the case I thought it appropriate that I devote one of my weeks hosting the One Layer Wednesday challenge to sponging. I want you to enter into the sponging fun too. You have no doubt tried it already; I see beautifullyl sponged cards here, there and everywhere. So your challenge this week is to use some sponging on your card; use a little or a lot, combine it with another technique if you like, just get inky!  (Aach! I just realised, at the eleventh hour, that I used the very same stamp on my last OLW challenge. Sorry for the repetition; I will pay more attention next month!)

Don’t forget about the Gratitude Campaign! See Susan’s blog for details.
Don’t forget to check out the sneak peaks and giveaways on the Penny Black blog.

OLW106 Rules

1. A ONE-LAYER card is defined as a single layer of card stock folded in half. No other layers allowed!

2. Make a card that incorporates sponging

3. Post your card somewhere online and link back  here using the InLinkz button at the bottom of this post. Please make sure you link to the specific post on your blog rather than your blog’s main page.

4. Have Fun!

I have received several requests lately for a sponging video tutorial. I am sorry I don’t have one for you today but I do have the next best thing, a photo tutorial. I will get a sponging video done as soon as I can.

Position your masks first; I find that it helps to use the lines on a cutting mat to get everything square.

Sponge your lightest colour first.

I only used two blues so I started sponging the darker blue on the side I wanted darkest. I even started off the card base to help regulate how much ink I applied. Without picking up more ink I sponged towards the lighter side of the sky as the intensity of the colour faded.

When I am getting close to the coverage I want I blend the ink by sponging in circles instead of dabbing it on.

When I sponged this snowdrift I did not go back to the lighter blue I used the dark blue sponge without picking up more ink. I sponged right on the edge of the post-it mask rubbing it against that edge so the blue would define the snow drift.

I always sponge a little on the bottom edge to define the edge of the panel.

Stamps:  Winter Ledge, Silent Night (PB)
Inks: Memento Summer Sky, Nautical Blue, Versafine Onyx Black, Versamark(Tsukineko)

About these ads

42 Comments on “OLW 106 Sponging”

1. KatieP says:

Thanks for taking the time to do the tutorial. I could never hope to turn out anything anywhere near as gorgeous as you do. I think everything you do is a work of art. Thanks so much for sharing your talents!

2. Marianne Lait says:

“Pure Beauty” It looks Cold and Crisp, a truly beautiful card. Thanks for showing us step by step how to acheive this. x

3. Ardyth says:

Gorgeous as always – what are the yellow pieces of paper? Just computer paper or are they sticky in some way? My masks always seem to let me down and bleed!

4. Bonnie says:

What a beautiful card, Heather! I’m old fashioned, I guess, but I prefer the picture tutorial to a video.

5. DebGem says:

Absolutely fabulous! The sponging gives a real feeling of depth to the image. Super photo tutorial too!

6. geriny says:

Thanks for sharing your tutorial. Your cards are beautiful and the sponging you do is what attracted me to your blog. Now I may even give it a try.

7. Charlene says:

Wow…you are an absolute master at this technique…thanks for the tutorial!

8. Judy says:

Stunning card and great tutorial! Thanks for the inspiration, Heather!!

9. Jeanne says:

I love your sponging art! Whenever I try it I get darker lines along the edges of the card. What can I do to avoid that.

10. Katherina says:

Thank you so much for the wonderful photo tutorial as I have had a hard time learning/visualizing how this is done. My results were just not turning out. Can’t wait to get home and practice now that I have pictures to guide me.

11. Sara Mac says:

Stunning! Thanks for the tutorial.

12. Cindy Major says:

Absolutely stunning! Love the blues against the crisp white card base!

13. redgemva says:

such a beautiful card. Tku for the tutorial… i’ll have to try to create such a masterpiece!

14. Mary H. says:

Thanks so much for the great pictorial tutorial. It’s much appreciated that you took the time to show how you do this gorgeous sponging work that you share with us.

15. Cat Craig says:

Gorgeous, I might have to give it a try.

16. chadan says:

I just tried it and it is so easy to follow the tutorial. Thank you

17. divinity says:

absolutely gorgeous card! everything looks so clean and crisp! thanks for the tutorial…i need to get some sponges and inkpads…and try this technique myself. it looks so much fun! :)

18. [...] don’t need to explain how this is done as Heather actually has a great photo tutorial on her blog today showing how she does her sponged layers – well worth a look if you [...]

19. Vicky says:

I love your winter scene Heather! I’m a big fan of sponging too as you know so all I’ll be looking for is a little time to join in with this fab challenge!

20. Maureen says:

This is really beautiful and I appreciated the photo tutorial so much as I have never done sponging and didn’t really understand how to. I am still unclear as how to you created the snowbanks. Is it because of the masking and using the sponging that it gives the appearance of a snowbank? I know that may seem like a stupid question, but I am a very new cardmaker and really don’t understand.

Thanks!

21. gaby sayer says:

Gorgeous card and tutorial. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain how you achieve such a high quality result! I love your blog and I visit it all the time. Thank you!!

22. Darlene Gabriel says:

Thank you for the photo tutorial. I love this technique and although I’ve tried it a few times, I can’t get it to look so perfect as you always do.
    This card is gorgeous and I just love the blue and white with the black embossing. I must make time to try this again following your tutorial.

23. Susan S. says:

thanks so much for the step out – helps a ton – and the card is lovely!

24. Gorgeous card and a fabulous photo tutorial. I’ve been pinning quite a few of your cards lately as you are just so inspiring and in fact gave me the idea for my hubby’s birthday card last weekend. It’s not quite one layer, so can’t enter the challenge, but you can see it here.

Glenda

You are such a pro at this, Heather. Another beautiful card! The tutorial is great, even though I know I could follow it exactly and it won’t come close to yours! :D

26. Heather Cady says:

Heather, there is not a card of yours I don’t love. Thanks for this tute – I plan on using it this week. What type of white paper do you use?

27. Heather, can you share what kind of sponges you use?

28. Cheryl says:

Absolutely gorgeous, Heather. Thank you for the wonderful tutorial. I’ve been wanting to ask you for some tips on your sponging!

29. rosebudinnh says:

Thank you, thank you…. this is awsome…………………. love it…. so going to try this…

30. Deanna Morgan says:

I LOVE this card. (As I do all of your cards.) The colors of this one just speak to me–my winter heart I guess–as long as there’s not snow on the ground anyway right now! Maybe not so much in December – March.

31. Pai says:

Stunning! Thanks for the tutorial!

32. Geri G. says:

Oh My Goodness! This is absolutely stunning. You have captured the true serene beauty of a cold winter night! Your tutorial is so well done with easy to follow, step by step directions! Thanks for sharing your amazing artistic talent with us :)

33. evelinevanheijst says:

I love the photo tutorial. Now I need to gather my nerves and do it.
    And your card s marvellous.
    Eveline.

34. patscrap91 says:

Fabulous card !
    Thanks for taking time to explain your technique.
    I’ve got to try !

35. Brilliant! Thanks for sharing your technique!

36. Cathy A says:

Beautiful, thanks for doing a photo tutorial too!

37. Robyn Oliver says:

Amazing Heather, I love your work

38. Bonnie Melody says:

Thank-you for the detailed tutorial! I feel like sponging has taken my work to a whole ‘notha level. Thanks for the inspiration.

39. joanvanc says:

Beautiful card. And a wonderful tutorial. Thanks for the great details.

40. Pumpy says:

Beautiful, will go and give it a go now. TFS